Options

Problems with Redgate 6

Daniel_Cave00Daniel_Cave00 Posts: 8
edited October 6, 2010 8:01AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi all,

Just installed the latest version (available from website) onto our system, we have existing Redgate 5.4 backups which I was testing with (that does need to work as a priority) and I have run into the following problems.

Our backup solution is to backup to a number of files, compress (level 3) and encrypt.

1) When trying to decrypt multiple backup files through the GUI, we get the following message randomly associated with backup files.

"Access Violation at address <varies> in module 'zlibl.dll'. Read of address <varies>"

This stops us from decrypting through the GUI. Removing or adding files just shifts the problem between the files. It only seems to work consistently for a single file.

2) I stupidly cancelled one of my first RESTORE commands executing the process through the Extended Stored Procedure. I have now got the following messages appearing

"Process terminated unexpectedly. Error code: -2139684860 (An abort request is preventing anything except termination actions.)"

Frustratingly restarting the agent and SQL Server has not cleared this. Whilst this is actually my stupid fault, it does represent a situation whereby someone might cancel a Restore process that they shouldnt have started in the first place and as such it is something I would like to know how to get around.

I have read around and found there might be a memory issue surrounding this, however given the actual message and the actions immediately prior to it. Add in the fact that I have successfully restored a smaller database and that this process has worked before I thought I would ask.

Comments

• Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Many thanks for your post.

For both the queries there isn't a lot to go on in the error message to fully diagnose the issue, but there a a few other logs that might be a little more informative.

Could you send me the SQL Backup log for the failed task found in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name>

Also, if the service crashed, there should also be a log called SQBCoreService_bugreport.txt found in:
    C:\Program files (x86)\red gate\sql backup\<instance>
    If you don't have this file, can you make sure that the logon account for the SQL Backup agent has permission to create files in this location?

Additionally, can you kindly answer specific questions to these issues:

1. 'zlibl.dll' is a dll used for compression level 2 and 3 can you try other level and check if that makes any difference (this is my understanding)?

2. Does the restore process works on other databases?
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com