SQL Source Control now integrated with SQL Compare

David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,427 Rose Gold 2
SQL Source Control can now be used in conjunction with SQL Compare to roll back a database to a previous (historic) version, or to deploy a source controlled version to a new or existing target database.

To benefit from this integration, the free SSMS Integration Pack (currently in Early Access) must be installed. For download information, please visit:

http://www.red-gate.com/products/ssms_i ... /index.htm

Note that this also requires SQL Compare 8.50, included as part of the SSMS Integration Pack installer (also in Early Access).

Please post any feedback to the SQL Source Control or SQL Compare forums.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
Product Manager
David Atkinson
Product Manager
Redgate Software

Comments

• I didn't see any other threads related to issues with this new release so I hope this is the proper place to post.

When I click on the database in SSMS and choose the new Schema Compare / Deploy or Data Compare / Deploy the sub-menus that says Set as Source and Set as Target gets cut off on the right hand side. It seems that the sub-menu container is not wide enough to display the text.

Not a huge issue but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Very cool integration by the way!
  • Thanks for the comment. Is there any chance you could send a screen grab to david dot atkinson at red-gate.com as this isn't something that's happening in my environment. Is this SSMS2005 or 2008?

Please keep the feedback coming!

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • These tools are awesome but I would dearly love a way to have an application that I can use to point at our subversion repository and rebuild the database and have it deployed to a server to make the entire process continuous (maybe even with data).

So for example, the app would ask me for the location of the subversion repository database scripts, then it would say what server do you want to deploy these scripts to and then have the ability to compare this with other versions of the same database on the same server or a different server.

I had a look at the continuous integration pdf and will continue plodding on with this to try to get it to work - burt some sort of tool to help with this would be superb.

The app coould even look at the data folder and use datacompare to script the data into the database perhaps?
  • I guess we've not developed an application because many shops already have an existing build process based around tools like NANT, MSBuild, TeamCity, and CruiseControl.

We're aware of shortcomings in the Continuous Integration document and we're very keen to make it more user friendly. We would love to get your feedback on what we could do to improve this, including sample code, walkthroughs on how to set up build automation using third party tools in conjunction with ours.

All feedback in this area would be greatly appreciated.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I just installed the SSMS Integration Pack where it allows you to do the Schema and Data Compare from within Sql Server Management studio - this is getting nearer to what I was looking for. If we could have the option to script the data as well and store it in subversion along with the database scripts that would be fab as we would then have all the data at the time of say a particular release. (sorry my bug bear about sql data generator not generating a script)

As a company we have a slightly different way of working - where we have code and database changes and to be able to sink those commits to subversion as a single change using the same revision number would be awesome.
  • We're currently working on static data support for SQL Source Control, so that won't be too far off.

If you want to commit database changes and code changes together, where would you want to do that from, VS or SSMS?

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hi David

It would be fab as a SourceControl add-in for Subversion but that's not likely as you guys deal with the SQL side of things - not sure it makes sense to do it from SSMS but if that could be an option then it would be real nice.

The idea of a single commit where the sql changes are made as we as the code changes in one revision would be very welcome.