Options

Auto-update for Red Gate applications

david.duffettdavid.duffett Posts: 30
edited September 9, 2010 12:45PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I couldn't find a general "Red Gate" forum here so I'm posting to the SQL Compare one.

I really like the fact that you guys frequently release patches and new versions of your software, however I don't get to know about them unless I post a problem to your forum.

It would be great if your software could keep itself up to date by informing me of new versions each time I start it up.

Also an email newsletter any time a new version is released would help for applications that run unattended, and therefore I would never open to see whether a new version is available.

Comments

• Options
    When we have an official public patch, we will push that via our Check for Updates mechanism. This doesn't work for the 'private' patches, which are quick fixes that haven't undergone the full regression testing cycle.

We're definitely going to improve the way we notify our users about patches and other tools that might be interesting to them. Subscribing to the Simple Talk newsletter is another way of keeping up to date.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd still throw my Idea out. 

It would be nice to be able to have an "Auto Update" setting or service, so as the admin I didn't have to visit each and every machine to put in my admin un/pw to run the updates.

When we have an official public patch, we will push that via our Check for Updates mechanism. This doesn't work for the 'private' patches, which are quick fixes that haven't undergone the full regression testing cycle.

We're definitely going to improve the way we notify our users about patches and other tools that might be interesting to them. Subscribing to the Simple Talk newsletter is another way of keeping up to date.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software