SQL Backup 6.4 Restore issue

Andrew HodgeAndrew Hodge Posts: 132
edited August 16, 2010 7:56AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
This is the second time I have seen this issue with restoring backup files stored on disk over another database.

I am performing a live (ITBM) over test (ITBM_Test) type restore. So using the backup files from live to restore over test.

The initial restore fails (see error1.txt) with an error of
Failed to disconnect existing connections to database.
I know with this application that red-gate struggles to kill the database connections so I had already ensured that all databases connections are stopped using activity monitor.

I then retry the restore and it fails again (see error2.txt) with an error of
13/08/2010 08:31:15: Error 890: RESTORE DATABASE permission denied for database: (ITBM_Test)
13/08/2010 08:31:15: SQL error 913: Could not find database ID 7. Database may not be activated yet or may be in transition. Reissue the query once the database is available. If you do not think this error is due to a database that is transitioning its
state and this error continues to occur, contact your primary support provider. Please have available for review the Microsoft SQL Server error log and any additional information relevant to the circumstances when the error occurred.

I think perhaps the database is set as single user only but when I check in SSMS it appear ok (does not display as single user) but errors if I try to open it with
08/13/2010 08:32:04,spid102,Unknown,Could not find database ID 7. Database may not be activated yet or may be in transition. Reissue the query once the database is available. If you do not think this error is due to a database that is transitioning its state and this error continues to occur<c/> contact your primary support provider. Please have available for review the Microsoft SQL Server error log and any additional information relevant to the circumstances when the error occurred.
08/13/2010 08:31:15,spid89,Unknown,Error: 913<c/> Severity: 16<c/> State: 4

I attach the sql server log as well (sqlserver.log)

I then delete the database ITBM_Test within SSMS and from disk and perform the restore.

After this I try the restore again and it worked succesfully? It failing to disconnect the users appears to leave the database in some odd state?

Link to zip file containing the logs
http://net2005.myby.co.uk/forumposts/redgateerror.zip

Comments