Options

Always get timeout trying to add backup file

broughtiebroughtie Posts: 32
edited September 23, 2010 6:38AM in SQL Virtual Restore 2
On two different computers now, I've installed and tried to use the latest version of virtual restore and every time I try to add my 36GB, non-encrypted .sqb file in step 2, all I get is an error: "Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Comments

• Options
    I having the same issue. In my particular case, I think the problem is that we are using a backup that was created with mirroring. Looks like it does not support those kind of backups. This is the error message I am getting when running the script manually:

Msg 3132, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    The media set has 3 media families but only 1 are provided. All members must be provided.
    Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Notice that I am using SQL Backup Pro without encryption, but using the MIRROR option to backup simultaneously to two different locations.
    The restore using SQL Backup Pro works fine.
  • Options
    ivanrdgz wrote:
    I having the same issue. In my particular case, I think the problem is that we are using a backup that was created with mirroring. Looks like it does not support those kind of backups. This is the error message I am getting when running the script manually:

Msg 3132, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    The media set has 3 media families but only 1 are provided. All members must be provided.

Notice that I am using SQL Backup Pro without encryption, but using the MIRROR option to backup simultaneously to two different locations.
    The restore using SQL Backup Pro works fine.

I think I found what the issue is. It has to do not with the mirror option but by the "Use multiple threads" option of the SQL Backup Pro. In my case (by default) it says Number of threads 3. So when restoring you have to indicate 3 times the same source file name, for example like this:
    RESTORE DATABASE [DB_test_Virtual] 
    FROM 
    	DISK='C:\TEST\FULL_(local)_DB_test_20100813_120354.sqb',
    	DISK='C:\TEST\FULL_(local)_DB_test_20100813_120354.sqb',
    	DISK='C:\TEST\FULL_(local)_DB_test_20100813_120354.sqb'
    WITH 
    	MOVE 'DB_test_Data' TO 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\DB_test_Data_DB_test_Virtual.vmdf', 
    	MOVE 'DB_test_Log' TO 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\DB_test_Log_DB_test_Virtual.vldf', 
    	NORECOVERY, stats
    GO

RESTORE DATABASE [DB_test_Virtual] WITH RECOVERY
    GO

Red Gate please fix this on the Virtual Restore GUI !!! It is confusing
  • Options
    Hi ivanrdgz,

I'm glad you've found a workaround for the time being. We're looking into the issue and hope to have a fix soon.

-- Lauri
    Software Engineer, DBA Tools Division, Red Gate Ltd.
  • Options
    I have a 95GB RedGate sql backup (.sqb), I was trying to "virtually" restore it into my desktop. The C: drive has 51GB of free space. This is the error message I am getting:
    Msg 3257, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    There is insufficient free space on disk volume 'C:\' to create the database. The database requires 329782460416 additional free bytes, while only 55273664512 bytes are available.
    Msg 3119, Level 16, State 4, Line 1
    Problems were identified while planning for the RESTORE statement. Previous messages provide details.

My understanding (from your advertisements) is that I don't need to have the original database space available for the virtual restore. Please advice.

[/quote][/code]
  • Options
    Hi,

You can virtually restore a database to a system which would not otherwise have the space to do so. You do this by setting a parameter in the HyperBac config file (hyperbac.conf). Below is an excerpt from the HyperBac Online documentation (this information is getting merged into the new Red Gate documentation):

NOTE: It is possible to restore a database to a volume which does not have the physical space to create the data and log devices in their uncompressed size using HyperBac Online (which is otherwise not possible by any other means). To do this open the HyperBac Configuration File located in the HyperBac\bin directory (hyperbac.conf) with notepad, at the end of the file add the following line, save the file and restart the HyperBac Control Service:

VirtualDiskSize=1000

The value specified represents the target size for all volumes in GB, in the above example all DASD volumes would have a logical size of 1TB, even if the physical size is less. This is only used for SQL Server during the restore process and does not have any other effect on the system. This value can be set to whatever is necessary to accommodate the uncompressed size of the data and log devices.

Hope this helps!
    Jeffrey Aven
    Product Management - HyperBac Technologies
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    I added the VirtualDiskSize=1000 to the configuration file. Tried again and got the following error:
    Msg 3183, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    RESTORE detected an error on page (0:0) in database "TESTDB_Virtual" as read from the backup set.

The backup file is on a shared drive on one of our SANs.
  • Options
    liwp wrote:
    Hi ivanrdgz,

I'm glad you've found a workaround for the time being. We're looking into the issue and hope to have a fix soon.

-- Lauri

Any update Lauri?
  • Options
    Hi broughtie and ivanrdgz,

I'm sorry for the radio silence - we've been hard at work in developing SQL Virtual Restore 2.1.

The new version has been released today (23 Sep) and it should address all the issues raised in this thread (timeouts and VirtualDiskSize) among other usability improvements.

You can download the latest version from here.

-- Lauri
    Software Engineer, DBA Tools Division, Red Gate Ltd.