Options

SQL Data Compare 6 versus 8 Command Line Options

DBNewbie_2007DBNewbie_2007 Posts: 47 Bronze 3
edited August 13, 2010 10:34AM in SQL Data Compare Previous Versions
I was working on re-setting a weekly database sync job using the SQLDataCompare [version 8] and it appears one of the command line options is no longer valid:

/ignoreadditional (Alias: /a)
Do not compare rows that are present only in <database2>.

We do not wish to run this in an automatted mode unless we can make sure RedGate does not delete items in <database2>. Is there a version 8 equivalent to this option?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Many thanks for your post.

/IncludeAdditional switch is deprecated. Instead use /Include:Additional

Kindly refer the following knowledge based article as this explains changes to the command line in SQL Data Compare 8. Click here for the link

Kindly let me know if this answers your question.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. I did try and find the answer, but my searches on the RedGate website were not leading me to that particular link.

Actually, since I am trying to EXCLUDE items only in DB2, shouldn't I use the /Exclude:Additional so the items in target DB2 are NOT touched (i.e., deleted)?

Note that I am NOT trying to include or exclude database OBJECTS (views, tables, etc.) but specifically RECORDS in source DB1/Table1 that are missing or different that target DB2/Table1. I want the records that only exist in target DB2/Table1 to not be touched/deleted.

I believe an alternative would be to do /Include:Missing,Different or /Include:Missing /Include:Different (not sure about the syntax)?

• Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for your post JReitter and apologies for delay in reply.

To prevent data from being dropped in the "second" database, you can use a combination of /include:Missing and /include:Different.

For example:
    C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 8&gt;sqldatacompare /s1:localhost /s2:localhost /db1:widgetlive /db2:widgetdev /include:Missing /include:Different

Kindly let me know if this works for you.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Yes... that appears to have done the trick! :)

Might I suggest the FAQ and other command line documentation get an update to include the difference between version 6 and version 8?