SQL Backup 5 compatible with SQL Server 2008 R2?

paule123paule123 Posts: 44
edited August 3, 2010 1:33PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I just upgraded our dev server from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 R2. This is running on Windows 2003 R2 32 bit. I notice when I go into SQL Backup 5 management GUI, I get the red X on the server name, and the little icon to re-install the server components is not there. Is version 5 compatible? If so, what's the procedure to get version 5 working with SQL 2008 R2?

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Many thanks for your post.

We aren't aware of any specific version limitations, although if we don't get it working I can install the same version here to double check.

SQL Backup 5.4 is compatible with SQL Server 2008 R2 if you already do not have it installed you can download the same from here: http://downloads.red-gate.com/checkforu ... 4.0.55.exe

I guess you can fix this issue by manually installing SQL Backup Agent service.

When I asked about installing the service manually, this basically meant to run the "SQBServerSetup.exe" directly on the server in question. You'll find this in c:\program files(x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup 5.

This may be what you already tried, but it's worth double checking! When you run it, it is probably worth right-clicking it and choosing "Run as Administrator".

If that still doesn't work and you don't get the service showing, can you run the above but from the command line, adding /Log on the end? i.e:

sqbserversetup /Log

This will create a file in your temp folder (i.e. c:\users\<profile>\appdata\local\temp named "Setup Log 2010-06-23 #xxx.txt" - if you can send back that log, it may provide some useful information.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Running sqbserversetup fixed it, thanks!