Options

Team Foundation Server 2010 support

wsorannowsoranno Posts: 65
Will SQL Source Control 1 support TFS 2010?
Thanks
Bill Soranno
MCP, MCTS, MCITP DBA
Database Administrator
Winona State University
Maxwell 143
wsoranno@winona.edu

"Quality, like Success, is a Journey, not a Destination" - William Soranno '92

Comments

• Options
    Yes, it currently supports TFS 2010. Are you having issues with this?

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    David,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The format of entering the url to the TFS server looked similar to VS2008 and it does not work with TFS 2010.
    I found that when I enter the full url (server:port/collection) I can connect to TFS 2010.
    Thanks
    Bill Soranno
    MCP, MCTS, MCITP DBA
    Database Administrator
    Winona State University
    Maxwell 143
    wsoranno@winona.edu

"Quality, like Success, is a Journey, not a Destination" - William Soranno '92
  • Options
    It's great that you figured that out. The original designs were based on TFS 2008 and it hasn't been updated. The Team Project Collection needs to be added at the end of the Server URL in order for it to connect properly.

I've added an issue to update our documentation for now and eventually we would like to make this whole dialog more friendly with the ability to browse your repo easier and create folders from there. These are suggestions on our Suggestion Forum at:
    - https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39 ... nually-typ
    - https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39 ... ?ref=title

Thank you!
    Stephanie M. Herr :-)
    SQL Source Control Project Manager
    Thank you!
    Stephanie M. Herr    :-)
    Product Manager Database DevOps
  • Options
    hi sherr, when I try to "create a link" to TFS 2010 I receive an error stating that the "path must be an existing, empty directory, and may be case sensitive". What info could I provide to help identify the issue's cause?
  • Options
    Hello Sambade,

What version of TFS Server are you using and what version of Visual Studio Client? Could you email support@red-gate.com the following screenshots from your TFS server?

1) It would be great if we could see the Source Control Explorer for the folder you are trying to connect to. Make sure it is empty. There can't be anything else in this folder. If it's not empty, you'll need to create a new folder using TFS Source Control Explorer, Check It In, and then Create a New Link to that. (NOTE: In TFS Source Control Explorer, you need to click on the area in the right to create a "New Folder." If this option is grayed out for you, "Get Latest Version" to create a working area and then you should be able to create a new folder.)

2) Also, please include a screenshot of your TFS Server Properties. You can find this by right-clicking on your TFS Server in Team Explorer and then selecting Properties. I want to make sure the Properties URL matches what you are using in SQL Source Control. It needs to contain the path and TeamProjectCollection if you are using TFS 2010.

3) Finally, please attach the "Source Location" folder, which can be found at the top of the Source Control Explorer Window and should begin with $/.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Hi Stephanie! I was able to sort out my problem just as the support team reached out to me. It was my inexperience with TFS; once I had set the local working folders and went thru the process of enabling the "New Folder" creation I was able to connect the dbs up to the TFS server. Thanks for your responsiveness!

Jose
  • Options
    If you need help linking to a TFS server, please see this example, http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... .0/toc.htm.

Let us know if anything is unclear so we can update this documentation.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Hi All,

We recently upgraded from TFS 2008 to 2010. After few hiccups was able to connect to the TFS server using VS 2010.

So tried updating the database objects using Redgate Source Control but had an error message saying the Working Base is Broken.

Following is the preview of the error message:

System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 403: Forbidden.
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    at
  • Options
    Was able to fix the issue by unlinking and relinking the databases to the TFS with Redgate Support help.

A special thanks to Chris Auckland , Redgate Product Support

-Lakshman