Options

Multiple schemas comparison does not work

changchang Posts: 6
edited July 20, 2010 8:32AM in Schema Compare for Oracle
Hi,

I just downloaded the latest version (1.2) to evaluate this product. I notice that if my source schemas are the same with different target databases, the tool will not save my configuration and compare all my setup. If I have multiple unique source databases with same target database, it is allowed to save. I believe this is a bug. It should be the other way around.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post.

I'm afraid Schema Compare for Oracle doesn't support one-to-many mappings of a source schema to multiple target schemas (or vice versa).

The main intended use case is to allow users to see the differences between individual schemas: we allow multiple schema selection so that they don't have to compare their whole database.

If it's a popular enough request, we might consider building a tool that is designed to do compares and syncs from one schema to several.

Thanks for raising the issue with the project saving in this area - I've put it into our bug tracking system and hopefully we'll be able to handle this a bit more gracefully (probably through not allowing our users to select multiple schemas against a single source/target in this way :))
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation. From your help dialog window built in the tool, it says that target schemas must be unique. It totally makes sense since you do not want the same target schema changed (if you try to sync it) after other comparisons are done to the same target (make those comparison out-of-date). But for the same source schema (which does not participate in the targets) should be totally fine, just like what you have currently supported. The tool allows:
    A -> B
    C-> D
    Then it should also allow:
    A -> B
    A -> C
    But it may not allow:
    A -> B
    B -> C
    or
    A -> B
    C -> B
    Any sync done in A->B makes B->C or C->B out of date.

Let me know if I misunderstand what the tool tries to do.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments.

You've definitely identified one of the reasons why supporting this request is quite difficult :) Part of the problem lies in identifying which mappings are legitimate and which are not.

Supporting one-to-many compares and syncs is a feature that is often requested for our SQL Compare tool - I've created a feature request for this in Schema Compare so we can track how popular it is with our users.

It's definitely something we'd really like to do, but unfortunately would require a significant amount of rework to the engine.

Thanks,

Alice.