Support for Team Foundation Server Work Items

peter.peartpeter.peart Posts: 364
Since the release of SQL Source Control We have been busy implementing support for Team Foundation Server Work Items. If you do not currently use Work Items a brief description from Microsoft is:

"Team Foundation has work item tracking features designed to assist enterprise software development teams to manage their work and software defect tracking. In Team Foundation, a work item tracks this work, and can be one of the individual tasks required to complete a project, a bug that needs to be fixed, a customer scenario that the project needs to address, or any other piece of work in a project that needs to be tracked in a database. The types of work items available in any given project can be customized by your team to meet your project development requirements using a work item type definition. However, all work items contain the following common elements"

In SQL Source Control (v1.0.3.73+), it is now possible to associate a SQL Source Control 'Commit Change' operation with a TFS work item by typing the following into the 'Comment to add on commit' field on the SQL Source Control 'Commit Changes' tab:

1. To Associate a Commit with a TFS Work item use the following syntax '#A<Work Item number><space><Commit Comment>' e.g. #A106 Associate this change to object Foo to Work Item 106'
2. To Resolve a TFS Work item following a Commit from source control use the following syntax '#R<Work Item number><space><Commit Comment>' e.g. #R106 Resolve Work Item 106 by committing this change to object Foo'

The '#A106' and '#R106' portion of the commit will not appear in the Commit Comment made on the TFS Server; it is simply an instruction to SQL Source Control to associate or resolve the item.

We'd love to hear about your experience with this feature; we'll be working on an enhanced UI to make your SQL Source Control/Work Items experience ingeniously simple and welcome any comments or feedback that you may have.
Peter Peart
Red Gate Software Ltd
+44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569

Comments

• The Early Access Release to associate your commits with work items is available at http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... hp?t=11654.
    Thank you!
    Stephanie M. Herr    :-)
    Product Manager Database DevOps
  • Would it be possible to add tags for other standard states such as "Closed" as well?
  • Is it possible to get a UI for this so we can search for WIs or by user, etc...
  • Would it be possible to add tags for other standard states such as "Closed" as well?

Hi JeffJ,

I've added a feature request for this: SOC-1513
    Chris
  • Is it possible to get a UI for this so we can search for WIs or by user, etc...

Hi AdamR,

Can you go into a little bit more detail with regards to the kind of UI you would like? Is there any functionality that you're looking for that Team Explorer doesn't provide, or are you looking for a more convenient interface than using Team Explorer?
    Chris
  • AdamYAdamY Posts: 55 Bronze 3
    An easy way (UI) to associate the check-in with a work item is a must for us (we have not bought yet, just evaluating). The #A1234 hack helps, but is easy to forget and doesn't cover everything. TFS can be set up to require certain things like a work item, code reviewer, and other "Check-In Notes". SQL Source Control ignores all those requirements now which in turn generates "Policy Failure" alerts to our tech leads. We really need the tool to support this. A simple search or list would be nice.

FYI - the workspace issue (not getting to pick a workspace or its location) is the other big deal breaker for us (probably more so than the work item issue). Shelving would be nice, too. Other than that, we love it so far.
  • Since the release of SQL Source Control We have been busy implementing support for Team Foundation Server Work Items. [...]; we'll be working on an enhanced UI to make your SQL Source Control/Work Items experience ingeniously simple and welcome any comments or feedback that you may have.

Hi Peter,

Would you have any news (or date) to reveal concerning this TFS improved integration ? (I mean something more evoluated than a parse trick)

Thx in advance,

Rgds,

Vincent.
  • Common Peter, an update please.

I bought this product for my team with the promise that this was in the pipeline and near delivery. Any chance of a Work Item GUI interface soon?

Many thanks
  • We hope to add this feature in SQL Source Control v4. The downside is that this is unlikely to be released before 2013 due to resourcing constraints.

Our sincere apologies,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hi David,

That's painful for us particularly as this promised feature was key to my decision to move my team to RedGate tools.

I appreciate you're honest reply and thanks for responding quickly.

Thanks
  • We honestly would have expected to have put in this feature by now, but various circumstances have conspired against us.

The v4 release will be focused on improving the team collaboration experience, and I'm hoping it will not only be about browsing work items, but also exposing these in relevant parts of the UI so it will be easier for all to see the intent behind a particular historical change to your database.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software