Options

Could not create licence distribution files.

CraigOttleyCraigOttley Posts: 19
Hi,

I keep getting the following error when trying to run SQL Data Generator as a batch file.

Could not create licence distribution files. Please run as administrator if you wish to create these files.
Error occurred whilst writing new distribution licence to disk: I/O error occurred.

The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate so i'm guessing i just need to grant access to which ever folder SQL Data Generator is trying to write to?

The weird thing is the data does get generated as i can see it in the database. But errors will get reported as this is an overnight process.

Info

SQL Data Generator 1 v1.2.0.286

Thanks

Craig

Comments

• Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Many thanks for your post.

Can you try following steps:
    1. Browse to the file 'RedGate.SQLDataGenerator.UI' which will be in the installation path by default : x64: C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Data Generator 1 for x86: C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Data Generator 1
    2. Right click the file and select the option "Run as Administrator"

Kindly let me know if this fixes the problem.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi Anu,

That doesn't solve my problem as i'm not running the data generator via the UI.

If you place this in a .bat file you'll most likely see the error.

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Data Generator 1SQLDataGenerator /pr:"C:\ProjectName.sqlgen" /v
  • Options
    Look's like i've managed to solve the problem. I had to grant full access to the folder
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Data Generator 1\Config
    for the user that is running the generator.

The 'error/warning' message does not appear anymore.

Additional Notes for everyone else:

I tried setting the Privilege Level "Run this program as an administrator" for all users for "SQLDataGenerator.exe" this quickly prompted Windows 7 to ask "Do you want the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer" which didn't work for me.