Options

VisualSVN Server

ucloneuclone Posts: 3
Does this work with a VisualSVN Server? I get an error "Linking database to source control: The path must be an existing, empty directory and may be case sensitive" when trying to link to a remote VisualSVN Server.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Yes, SQL Source Control should work with VisualSVN Server. It is not an officially supported server in that we haven't tested against this, but all we expect is that the subversion server we are communicating with adheres to the standard subversion behaviours. I would be surprised if VisualSVN Server didn't do that.

We support subversion 1.5 and 1.6. As long as you have version 1.5 or greater of VisualSVN Server you should be fine. If not, please let us know!

I've run a quick test here and managed to link and commit to a VisualSVN repository ok.

Have you made sure that the folder in the repository that you are specifying on the link dialog is completely empty? It mustn't contain any files or subfolders.

If you are still having problems, please post back or email support@red-gate.com and we'll help you to work through this.
    Development Manager, SQL Tools
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I did finally get it to work with Visual SVN. My problem was subfolders in the repository.

Thanks
  • Options
    We've been trialling this with VisualSVN server, but now our trial license has expired, the server has reverted from Enterprise Edition to Standard Edition. SQL Source control no longer works - it gives an error 'Server sent unexpected return value (500 Not Licensed) in repsonse to OPTIONS request for.....'
    Just thought I'd make others aware. The Enterprise license is currently $950 per server.
    Pete Cousins
  • Options
    James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    SQL Source Control should work fine with Standard.
    I'm guessing the message you're seeing is some "left-over" from you previously having it working as an Enterprise version.

If you try accessing the location you're linked to with Tortoise SVN, does it work okay? Can you try unlinking + relinking your database from within SSMS to see if it then starts working?
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried tortoise, and unlinking and relinking, and all give the same error message. Can't now linnk the database back at all. Looking in the VisualSVN event log on the server, we see the following error message, that I think explains everything:
    Your evaluation license for VisualSVN Server Enterprise Edition is expired and Integrated Windows Authentication is no longer available. Please update your license key.
    [client 172.19.225.87]

I set it all up with Windows Authentication (who wants to type in passwords all the time?), and now it won't work. I've requested an evaluation extension, and hopefully we'll be purchasing Enterprise Edition soon.
    Pete Cousins
  • Options
    James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Aah, I see - so windows auth is indeed enterprise only: http://www.visualsvn.com/server/feature ... integrated
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software