Options

SQL, File I/O not working via command line profiling

Hi

I have created a ANTS project that allows me to profile a VDir in IIS using the default port 80. I also set the SQL, File I/O options to monitor the disk and SQL Server. When I profile via the UI, it gathers all information inclusing the SQL and File I/O correctly.

I now want to automate the process via the command line as well using soapUI to create load on the web site. I send through the following command line arguments that include the same project used via the ANTS UI:
  "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 6\Profile.exe" /project:"D:\PragmaDev\OK52\pOnKey\Main\Metrics\P
  erformanceTests\Pragma.OnKey5.app6" /verbose /methodLevel /onlyWithSource /force /timeout:60 /data:"D:\PragmaDev\OK52
  \pOnKey\Main\Metrics\PerformanceResults\2010_07_13\StaffMember\13_16\StaffMember.app6results" /htmlreport:"D:\PragmaD
  ev\OK52\pOnKey\Main\Metrics\PerformanceResults\2010_07_13\StaffMember\13_16\StaffMember.Summary.html"

However when I open the results generated in the ANTS UI, it does not include the SQL and File I/O activity :( Is this to be expected?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, sorry. This has not yet been implemented. It is something we are looking at.
  • Options
    ETA? Hopefully we don't have to wait till v7 for this to be working seeing that v6 was just released. I mentioned this during this EAP as well so it is sad to see that it didn't make the final product. Are there any other features like this that are not supported by the command line version?
  • Options
    I've just tried this out, and I think it does work if you use a project file. There's no way to switch this option on without using one at the moment, which is an oversight on our part.

However: this feature only works if the profiler is launched as an administrator. The command-line tool doesn't perform elevation like the UI does, and the resulting error is not being reported.

I think that it's probably correct that the command-line doesn't automatically try to elevate itself, as the UAC prompt is probably the last thing you want to appear when running non-interactively.

This does reveal several changes we do need to make, though:

* We need to add a 'record sql/file events' option so that a project file isn't always necessary to enable this feature.
    * We need to display a clear warning when a profiling session requires administrator permissions to work correctly and these aren't available.
    * If there are any errors while recording events, these should be displayed as warnings when profiling finishes.

I don't think any of these are major modifications, so I'd be confident scheduling these for v6.1.
    Andrew Hunter
    Software Developer
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • Options
    Andrew

Just to verify that I understand you correctly - you are saying that the command line profiling should generate the SQL/File I/O stats as long as we run it in an elevated command prompt with administrator rights? I'm running without UAC and it is still not generating the stats.

Thanks
  • Options
    Yes, that should work: if you're using a project file with the option turned on, then the command line should enable the feature the same way the UI does, so if it works in the UI on a given system then it should also work with the command line.

The data has to be viewed via the UI after being saved out with the /data option.

The problem is that there's almost no feedback if a problem occurs as things stand, so there isn't much opportunity to correct problems at the moment. This will be rectified in v6.1.
    Andrew Hunter
    Software Developer
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • Options
    Thanks Andrew. Rough estimate on v6.1 - 1 month/2 month timeframe? I need to report back to management. Thx