Options

Command line profiling of IIS Web Site

Hi

I'm trying to set up the command line arguments for profiling my WCF services hosted in IIS/ASP.NET 4.0. What are the command line arguments for telling the profiler to monitor a VDir, i.e. I want to profile http://localhost/OK52/. I see command line options to profile a windows service, COM+ server, Silverlight application and options to profile via Cassini but, as mentioned, I want to profile against the VDir in IIS.

Thx

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Carel,

I did not see any information about profiling directly in IIS via the Profiler command-line either and I don't know if we plan on supporting this in the future or if was left out for a specific reason.

First I'd ask if it really necessary to profile hosted in IIS because technically ANTS Profiler doesn't do that anyway. It launches the web application pool as a process in debug mode and it's only minimally connected to IIS (ie no health monitoring, SSL, or respect for your web configuration). I advise against profiling web apps hosted in IIS unless that's the only way you can get them to work.

But if you want to do this in profile.exe, you can still create a project to profile the application and run it with the /project argument.

There are some tricks you could use to actually run the ASP .NET worker process as an "executable", so let me know if you need those for some odd reason (such as integration in a batch file) and which version of IIS would be hosting.
  • Options
    Brian

I'm test driving an automated performance profiling process whereby we kick off the command line profiler on a daily basis and then use soapUI to create a load on the machine with ANTS profiler capturing the performance statistics by monitoring the IIS site for activity.

I've actually gone the route of implementing a project like you've described, and it works, but unfortunately the command line profiler is not feature equivalent to the UI so I thought it might be related to the fact that I'm using a project.

Would be nice though to just use the command line without a project. There seems to be no reason to use a project as almost all the project options are anyways specified explicitly via the command line itself.

Please consider adding it to make this kind of batch operation testing easier.