SQL Backup Email Notification

matt_65matt_65 Posts: 8
edited July 14, 2010 3:52AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to change the SQL Backup email notification of the success/failure of the scheduled job?

We have our email notifications set to always notify, that way we know if the scheduled job ran or failed, without the need to login to the console and we find that the email that is generated is way too verbose, especially for success emails.

It would be good if we could either add the verbose message as an attachment, or be able to specify success notifications to be limited verbose.

It would be good if there was a failure that the failure message (or even warning message) was much more obvious.

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    MAILTO_ONERROR will send e-mail notifications only if there were warnings or errors raised.

MAILTO_ONERRORONLY will send e-mail notifications only if there were errors raised.

Warnings and errors are displayed at the top of the e-mail e.g.

ERRORS AND WARNINGS

7/14/2010 3:17:39 PM: Backing up test (full database) to:
    7/14/2010 3:17:39 PM: e:\temp\test.sqb

7/14/2010 3:17:39 PM: Error 880: BACKUP DATABASE permission denied in database: (ssss)
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks Petey,

We use the UI so havent had a need to use those CLI parameters yet, but thanks as it will come in handy.

So I take it then that the actual text that is sent within the email's cannot be modified or toned down in the level of verbose?

Thanks,

Matt
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Not in the current release. The contents of the e-mails sent out are identical to that stored in the SQL Backup log file for the corresponding process.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Great, thanks again for your assistance. While the answer isnt what I was after, always appreciate the assistance.

Matt