Clear yellow pop-in messages

tschlarmtschlarm Posts: 23 Bronze 2
Is there anyway to clear the little yellow messages like 'The selected time region contains SQL Server activity...'?

It would be nice to have a 'x' to close these. I like the hint, but it's also nice to be able to dismiss them.

Comments

• There's no way at the moment but I'll put this in as a feature request for the next version.

How are you finding V6 so far if you don't mind me asking?

Stephen
  • tschlarmtschlarm Posts: 23 Bronze 2
    StephenC wrote:
    There's no way at the moment but I'll put this in as a feature request for the next version.

How are you finding V6 so far if you don't mind me asking?

By version to you mean a patch or v7?

So far it's working quite well. I've only just started working with it (for the past few days). Here's what I like and wish for so far.

APP6 in conjunction with the VS2010 IntelliTrace (IT), I'm working thru some previously unknown issues. Unknown because the app works fine and is reasonably fast (no client complaints anyway). However, preparing for the next version I wanted to use the new VS 2010 and APP6 on it to see what the new tools could tell me.

The good
    =========
    The SQL view is a welcome addition. I like the fact you can see the parameterized SQL arguments and hit count on each. MS's profiler doesn't show them.

The File I/O view is cool, but I haven't had a chance to use it much yet as my app is a web app. It should be useful for a client app I have. It does tell me how often my site graphics are being downloaded, however.

I love the progress bars behind APP's values. Makes it vary fast to spot something out of the ordinary.

Improvements (in my opinion)
    ====================
    I really wish APP6 had the comparison of performance reports. VS2010 does a pretty good job comparing, but the results can be a tough read sometimes. I put in a request for this back in the APP5 time-frame and was told it was being considered for APP6. Kind of disappointed it's not there as it's how we tell whether what we are doing is working. Also good to show management and clients why we need to factor in some time for profiling in the development cycle.

I like the exception marks over the chart. VS2010/IT notes exceptions as well, except that IT allows you to break on exceptions which is really handy as the charting control I'm playing with seems to throw a lot of exceptions internally (slowing down my code). The chart control is also catching them internally so I never see them. VS2010's profiler and APP6 have the same issue in that it was hard to tell what what the call stack of the exception was so I could see in my code what the call was. In APP6, it would be nice to be able to double-click on the exception mark (or it's tooltip) and highlight it in the method list or at least the call in my code that invokes the call that caused the exception. Setting up IT to break on exceptions isolated this pretty quick. I love to see the APP6 exceptions functionality expanded in some way.

APP6 does seem to have a delay after a profiling session while collecting its results for display. Occasionally it fools me into thinking it didn't collect anything in my code. If I wait a bit, the results pop in, but it could use a better 'loading' progress indicator. I guess the little hourglass in the treeview is a little too subtle for me. I didn't see it at first. The green progress circlet shows up when changing ranges and such, just not right after you finish profiling.

APP6 could use a progress/wait message during sorting in the Methods grid. It kind of freezes when you have a very long list of functions and you decide to sort by namespace or Method Name. The Find box mitigates this somewhat by filtering the list. Sorting the filtered list performs much better.

Personally, I'd love to see some integration between Reflector and APP. Handy for locating where exceptions were thrown.

With the exception of comparison reports, all my APP6 issues are minor. I like APP6 and find it very useful. Using APP6 with IT and VS2010's profiler I made some pretty significant improvements.