Error on "Take Memory Snapshot"

kukuwkakukuwka Posts: 3
Hi,

When I try press "Take Memory Snapshot" I receive the next error:

The snapshot failed because .NET did not report every referenced object. This failure is most likely due to a bug in version 2 of the CLR that can be triggered when the garbage collector is operating in 'server mode' and the target application has many large objects.You can work around this bug by manually switching your application to the workstation garbage collector. See the MSDN documentation on the gcServer configuration option for information on how to acheive this.
Q
at P.g(Object , EventArgs )
at T.<>c__DisplayClass16.<backer_SnapshotCompleted>b__15()
at O.b()

How can I avoid it?

Thanks,
kukuwka

Comments

• See the MSDN documentation on the gcServer configuration option for information on how to acheive this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911716
  • Hi,
    This solution is for Windows Server 2003 .
    I have Windows Server 2008.

Thanks
  • Did you still try changing the setting on Windows Server 2008?

Is it still throwing the error?

Stephen
  • StephenC wrote:
    See the MSDN documentation on the gcServer configuration option for information on how to acheive this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911716

Ok, I've read this article, but it also says that
    The Workstation garbage collector is optimized for low latency. Low latency is typically required for client applications. However, low latency may cause decreased throughput after you configure the .NET Framework common language runtime to use the Workstation garbage collector.

I can't afford to run my production environment like this if we are already having performance problems. Or, are you saying to just change this setting in order for the snapshot to work?

FYI - the only way to reproduce our "memory leak" is in a production environment, we are not able to reproduce the load, or the leak in a test environment so the above suggestion may not work for me.

Please advise, thanks!
  • I am hitting this error also:
    The snapshot failed because .NET did not report every referenced object. ...

I do not always get it but seem to get always when doing a large memory operation. Can this be caused by an out of memory condition other then the one related to gcServer. I have added the gcserver enabled="false" in the machine.config and it helped. before that i always got the above error. when taking a snapshot. I am trying to profile a wcf service.
  • Hi,
    Have u done the changes in Machine.config or ASPnet.config??
    I am facing the same problem even after the change in ASPnet.config file.

Please reply. Thanks.
  • If our current documentation is not working - would anyone be able to help us reproduce this exact issue in-house? If so, please contact support@red-gate.com directly. Thanks!
  • I am in the same boat! Any suggestions for Windows Server 2003?