Options

Link to DB Already under Source Code Control?

pmcdermottpmcdermott Posts: 5
Hi; I have a database that is already under SCC within TFS. TFS already has a folder created with all the database objects in it. I just downloaded SQL Source Code Control 1 and I tried to "Link to a database already in source control." I get an error stating "The URI needs to be a directory which contains a project file named RedGate.ssc"

My question is this: The project has already been under SCC since before I got SQL Source Code Control 1. How can I begin using your product with a database that already exists in SCC within TFS? Others are using the TFS SCC already and I cannot just delete that to start all over again. Do I have any options to use your product?

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

Currently, you can only "link to a db already in source control" that was placed in source control by SQL Source Control. (This is for 5 users that each have their own dedicated db to link to the same centralized repository to share changes with each other. 1 user creates the link and the other 4 users "link to a db already in source control.") We have a specific format, so we currently can't link to existing "non-SQL Source Control" directories.

How did your database get into TFS initially? Were you using SQL Compare? Were you using the default file format? If so, there may be a workaround so that you can use your existing project and maintain all its history. Please contact support@red-gate.com if this is the case and you would like more information on linking to an existing SQL Compare repository.

If not, how did your db get into TFS? What process has your team been using?

We may consider integrating with VS 2010 DB Projects in a future version. Is this something that would interest you? This would allow users to work in SSMS or VS.

Thank you!
    Stephanie M. Herr :-)
    SQL Source Control Project Manager
    Thank you!
    Stephanie M. Herr    :-)
    Product Manager Database DevOps