Options

Minimum Permissions for Login Used to run Backups

Wyatt70Wyatt70 Posts: 50
edited August 1, 2005 9:29AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have recently taken over the administration of my company's implementation of SQL Backup. In our current configuration, we have created a SQL Server login to run the backups. This login has been assigned to the "sysadmin" fixed server role.

I would prefer a configuration that did not require a login with sysadmin privileges. Is there a way to configure the product to use a non-sysadmin login?

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Not in version 3. To use the VDI interface, the user issuing the BACKUP ... TO VIRTUAL DEVICE = ... command needs to be a member of the sysadmin fixed server role. This is a requirement from the SQL Server engine itself.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Okay, that confirms what I experienced. I tried running the backup without sysadmin privileges and I received an error message about the inability to use a virtual device without being a member of sysadmin. I just wanted to ask people who have been using the product for a while if there was any workaround for that issue.

Thanks for your assistance.