Options

DB Name with trailing space causes 6.4 to hang

DWolford1234DWolford1234 Posts: 44
edited June 22, 2010 2:36AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello. I'm pretty sure this was a bug for the 5.x version of SQL Backup, and it was eventually resolved. However, I upgraded from 5.4 to 6.4 the other day, and my backups started to hang on one particular, insignificant DB. I spent a day or two trying eveything I can think of to work around the problem.

Finally, I tried doing a Red Gate SQL Backup Backup, with NO encryption. It backed up fine. The auto name convention I am using exposed that there was an extrax space, or blank, in the backup file name. D'OH! That let me remember the bug from 5.x. I verified that there was indeed a hidden, trailing space in the db name, and renamed it without that space. Issue resolved!

Please see what you can do to avoid the issue for others.

Thanks,
Dan W

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    A couple of other users had experienced the same issue, and we have addressed it with a patch (6.4.0.1010). In both cases, the trailing space was a mistake, and the issue was resolved by renaming the database. If however the trailing space is significant, you can request Product Support to send you details on where to download patch 6.4.0.1010 from.

The fix will be included in future releases of SQL Backup.

Thank you.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8