Options

Full backups while using transaction log shipping

jimc5240jimc5240 Posts: 4
edited June 2, 2010 1:13PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have transaction log shipping running without a problem. However, I still need to have a full backup done every night for archive purposes.

When I try to schedule a full backup using SB6, I get a failure that essentially says the database has a conflict with the backup/restore functions. I have figured out that the SQL Agent jobs are overlapping and that's the problem. I can however, use a maintenance plan to back up the database provided I squeeze it in between the agent backup and restore on the transaction log shipping. I'd prefer to use SB6 because of the encryption and compression. Is there any way to do both the transaction log shipping and a full backup schedule simultaneously in SB6?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Unfortunately you cannot run a Full backup and a Log backup simultaneously. What ever job starts first will prevent the other starting or running successfully.

I recommend that you suspend the Log Backup jobs for the period of the Full Backup. So for example, the Full Backup normally takes 90 minutes to complete and starts at 22:00. You perform a Log backup every 15 minutes (00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes past the hour). Modify the Log Backup schedule so that the last log backup in the 24 hour period takes place at 21:45 and they recommence at 23:45 which will allow a 2 hour period for the Full Backup to run.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com