Options

Compare tables with different names

Sorry, I only worked with SQLDataCompare by now and I’m new to SQLCompare. Maybe this very easy to solve…

I need to compare the schema of two databases, which have only a few tables in common. Database A has more than 1000 objects and I would like to compare them with database B which has only a few tables. The tablenames in database B are not the same as in database A but the structure should be equal, except the differences I would like to find.

With SQLDataCompare I could add the tables to Mappings and then compare. With SQLCompare I have to compare the full database with CompareWith?! That will need some time…

I’ve seen that there is a filter method on Differences, but how can I tell the SQLCompare to compare databaseA.tablename123 with database.tablenameyxz?

Thanks
Alex

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Alex,

SQL Compare, unlike SQL Data Compare, does not support comparing two differently-named tables in the same database. Your only option for comparing different objects is when the schema is different, so for instance, you could compare [bob].[Table_1] to [fred].[Table_1].

If you have any more questions, please let us know.
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

I don't want to compare two tables in one db.

I want to compare tables with different names in different dbs.
    [database1].[Table_xyz] to [database2].[Table_123]
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Same applies in different databases.