UriFormatException profiling ASP.NET website

Hello,

I am having trouble using the ANTS memory profiler on an ASP.NET website. In my VS 2008 solution, I have the website selected as the Startup project. When I select "Profile Memory" from the ANTS 5 menu, I get the following error:

System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The URI is empty.
at System.Uri.CreateThis(String ur, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
at System.Uri..ctor(String uriString)
at RedGate.Memory.AddIn.Commands.ProfileCommand.get_LaunchArguments()
at RedGate.Memory.AddIn.Commands.ProfileMemoryCommand.RunCommand()
at RedGate.Memory.AddIn.Connect.Exec(String commandName, vsCommandExecOption executeOption, Object& varIn, Object& varOut, Boolean& handled)

This seems like it should be a simple thing, but I can't find any documentation specifically outlining how to profile a web app from within Visual Studio. Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks,

Eric

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Eric,

There is a bug in the ANTS Profiler add-in when it comes to ASP .NET. We do have a patched version of the add-in that should fix the problem:

1) Download this file: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/ants ... .AddIn.dll

2) Put it in your ANTS install directory, replacing a file with the same name.

3) Restart Visual Studio.
  • Unfortunately, I followed the steps and got the same result.

I'm not sure the FTP version is correct. The version of (program files)\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 5\RedGate.Profiler.Five.AddIn.dll is 5.2.0.26. The version on the FTP site is 5.1.0.8 - should it be going backward?

Thanks,

Eric
  • Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards. ;)
  • Ah sorry- I re-read this. The add-in only solves the issue for the *performance profiler* not the memory profiler- my colleague is working on a patch for the memory profiler right now. I'll check how near he is with this.
  • We attempted a patch and it fixed this problem but had a few side-effects which render it not publishable. So, I think we'll just have to wait for it to be fixed in the general release.