Options

Feature request - Database metadata in tool tip/hyperlink

soxfanjimsoxfanjim Posts: 16
edited May 24, 2010 2:14PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
If I type "USE AdventureWorks", for example, there's a hyperlink on the word AdventureWorks. All it really tells me is that it's a database on the server I'm connected to, which isn't terribly useful.

It would, however, be very useful to display metadata about the database. For example, logical and physical file names, recovery model, database compatibility level, size, space available, etc. Basically some amount of the information shown on the General, Files and Options tabs in the SSMS Database Properties window.

I imagine the limitation is that permissions may prevent some users from reading the system tables for this information, but I would think you could test for that and provide the current display to non-privileged users. As a DBA, this would be a great enhancement to the tool that would save me time on a regular basis.

Thanks for your consideration.

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

Many thanks for your post. I have added this as a feature request in our systems under refernce SP-2977. It will be considered for the next release of SQL Prompt however I cannot confirm at the moment whether this will make it in or not.

Many thanks again for your post!

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569