Options

Password Limitations

rkorosrkoros Posts: 18
edited July 18, 2005 9:40PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Are there any limitations regarding the characters used or the length of the password? I am trying to create an encrypted backup but the password that I want to use contains various characters, nothing fancy just some numbers, different case, etc. I can create the backup using them, but I cannot seem to decrypt it. If I use something like "Testing", it works fine, but anything more complex fails. Suggestions?
Thanks,

Robert

Comments

• Options
    There are limitations, SQL Backup will only handle passwords that are less than 17 characters in length. I have not found any characters that are restricted, but like I said earlier, nothing that fancy just basic keyboard characters used.

What is the possibility that a future release will allow for longer passwords to be used?
    Thanks,

Robert
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    There is a GUI bug with regards to the password entry edit boxes. It was limited to 16 characters. There is no visual/audio indication that this limit has been reached, so you might have thought that SQL Backup was still accepting additional characters.

To restore the encrypted backups made using the GUI, use the first 16 characters of the password that you entered.

This bug will be fixed in a future version.

There is no limit to the password length if you use the extended stored procedure or command line interface. Unfortunately, only the GUI allows you to generate encrypted passwords.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8