Using SQL prompt 4 within VS 2010

GrahamGoodwinGrahamGoodwin Posts: 25
edited June 25, 2010 1:38PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Am I correct in assuming that SQL Prompt only functions correctly in Visual Studio 2010 T-SQL-Editor when a connection has been established to the relevant database?

This means that it does not work with the internal VS database model and any changes made to the VS database project have to be deployed before SQL Prompt recognises them (eg. field name changes, new views etc)?

Many thanks

Graham Goodwin

Comments

• Yes, this is how it current works. It needs to have a connection to a real database. It is possible that we develop a version that works on the offline Database Project model, although this will depend on customer demand and so far it hasn't been that strong. If anyone else is looking for this ability we'd love to hear from you!

Is there any particular feature you're looking for that isn't available in VS2010's built-in Intellisense?

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for your reply David. Perhaps the main thing I miss when no connection has been established is that, when creating a table, the list of available data types does not display correctly after typing a field name and pressing space. The prompt list display 'AS', 'DOUBLE', 'NATIONAL' and 'XML' as the first 4 options.

Regards

Graham Goodwin
  • David,
    I would like to have the following feature in VS. When a file is created/opened, connect to the server and database specified in the project properties. If the "Target Connection" has not been set, then prompt for the connection information.

This would allow SQL Prompt to function more closely like it does in SSMS.
    Thanks
    Bill Soranno
    MCP, MCTS, MCITP DBA
    Database Administrator
    Winona State University
    Maxwell 143
    wsoranno@winona.edu

"Quality, like Success, is a Journey, not a Destination" - William Soranno '92
  • I think that you should at least the default sql objects listed.