SQL Data Compare 8.1 keeps crashing

mscheunermscheuner Posts: 57
Folks,
after auto-upgrading from SQL Data Compare 8.0.2 to 8.1 today, I cannot launch the app anymore. It keeps crashing right at startup.

Anything I can look up for you to help you diagnose the problem?
I don't see any entries in the Event log under Applications > Red Gate Software (lot of SQL Prompt 4 entries - but none for SQL Data Compare 8.1). Anything else I can try? Command-line parameter, config setting?

I'm running Win 7 Enterprise, x64 Version, with .NET 3.5 SP1, SQL Server 2008 SP1 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 on the machine (no .NET 4 or VS2010 yet).

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Marc,

Unfortunately this is not going to be easy because it's usually a problem happening during the application initialization so the Red Gate code hasn't even had a chance to run yet and won't log anything about the event.

I think step 1 would be to run SQL Compare "As Administrator" -- you may need to do this once to initialize the licensing components. Otherwise, if you can get the error details, that may help.
  • Brian,

thanks for your help - my direct report with Red-Gate support has resulted in a case (F0033534) being worked on already. I sent Chris Auckland some error logs and observations - hope he'll be able to figure out the root cause of this problem somehow - I'm confident he will !

Thanks!
    Marc
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Marc,

I'll leave it in Chris' capable hands, then.
  • The problem has been solved in a very competent manner by Red Gate support. There must have been some "gremlin" in my computer that interfered with the update process.

After uninstall and reinstall and re-update, everything works fine - thanks to Red Gate's excellent support!