Competition: What’s your favorite Redgate tool? Enter now.

Can't Change Back to Alert Repository Account for SQL Server

unclebigunsunclebiguns NH, USAPosts: 23 Silver 1
edited April 16, 2010 9:52AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
As part of my evaluation of SQL Response I was attempting to see if I could get it to work with an account that does not have SQL Server sysadmin privileges on the SQL Server. So I went into the server properties and changed the Account Credentials to log in to the SQL Server Instance to use SQL Server authentication with a SQL Server login that I had created with the rights I believe that it needed to gather the information SQL Response needs. I realize that the documentation states it needs SA privileges, but as this is an evaluation I thought it was worth at try. At any rate, it did not work so I changed back to Windows Authentication using the Repository Account. It is still not working. It appears that the change is not actually occurring. Any suggestions?
Jack Corbett
http://wiseman-wiseguy.blogspot.com
SQL Server Architect\Developer
MCITP: Database Administration SQL Server 2008

Comments

  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 New member
    Hi Jack,

    When using Windows Authentication, SQL Response will connect using the service account of the Alert Repository. In order for Response to work properly, that Windows account would need to belong to the SYSADMIN role of the server.

    What indication do you get that SQL Response isn't working in your latest configuration?
  • unclebigunsunclebiguns NH, USAPosts: 23 Silver 1
    Indications are that when I click Test Credentials I still get the Incorrect User Name or Password error and I am regularly getting SQL Server Unreachable Alerts when I know the SQL Server IS reachable. I am also not receiving alerts when I know I should be receiving them. For example I specifically set up a job that will fail and I am not getting the job failed alert.

    Lastly, I ran a profiler trace for 2 days and never saw any activity from SQLResponse on the SQL Server and I assume I should have seen something as it checks for problems. It is possible I was missing an evnet, but unlikely I think.

    I know the account has sysadmin access because I originally set up SQLResponse using this account and it worked fine. The problem started when I tried experimenting with a SQL Server login to see if I could make SQL Response work with a non-SA login and then changed back.
    Jack Corbett
    http://wiseman-wiseguy.blogspot.com
    SQL Server Architect\Developer
    MCITP: Database Administration SQL Server 2008
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 New member
    Hi Jack,

    Did you try simply restarting the Alert Repository service on the SQL Response server?
  • unclebigunsunclebiguns NH, USAPosts: 23 Silver 1
    Yes, I restarted the alert repository service and I rebooted the PC (my workstation) that it is installed on.
    Jack Corbett
    http://wiseman-wiseguy.blogspot.com
    SQL Server Architect\Developer
    MCITP: Database Administration SQL Server 2008
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 New member
    Hi Jack,

    Please email the SQL Response Alert Repository log to [email protected], and quote "F0033519" in the subject line. You can get the log from the repository server in the %allusersprofile%\application data\red gate\logs\
  • unclebigunsunclebiguns NH, USAPosts: 23 Silver 1
    Brian,

    I will still send the error logs, but knowing where to look helped me solve the problem. I had chosen in the beginning to encrypt the connection to the SQL Server and it worked at the beginning, but changing the credentials apparently caused this to fail as I know get a certificate chaining error. By not encrypting the connection I SQL Response now connects properly.
    Jack Corbett
    http://wiseman-wiseguy.blogspot.com
    SQL Server Architect\Developer
    MCITP: Database Administration SQL Server 2008
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 New member
    It's probably a certificate problem. I'll bet if you get the SQL Server's certificate and put it in the alert repository user's certificate store, that may get it working.
Sign In or Register to comment.