Options

Evaluating Memory Profiler... A Few questions.....

samjollysamjolly Posts: 2
I am evaluating the memory profiler tool. I have a specific purpose in mind and that is to evaluate whether I have memory leakage in an ASP.NET application that I have in production which is suffering "Out of Memory" errors. I have tested the profiler a little on my dev server and all looks OK. However I have a few important questions related to my problem:

1) I seem to be only able to test for one user for the website. Obviously I would like to be able to start up a number of ANTS session or profile a number of web browser sessions. How???

2) From your profiler I can see how much memory is being used ie 32-64mb. However to date I have not discovered a way of finding out the amount of memory that IIS is making available to my session. So 5 64MB sessions might cause a problem if only 300MB is available, but if there is 1 GB then less of a problem. With the former value I can imagine the problem even with no memory leakage so the problem is with the IIS Shared Hosting setup. This is a really important point IMHO. How??

3) Is it possible to test against a remote server as opposed to localhost? I have not dared to try since the profiler seems to stop and restart the web process.

Thanks for any help on the above.

Sam

Comments

• Options
    1) I seem to be only able to test for one user for the website. Obviously I would like to be able to start up a number of ANTS session or profile a number of web browser sessions. How???

You'll need to set up a *seperate* website loading system. the profiler only reports on what is happening to the process that is being profiled- it doesn't stress the website.

2) From your profiler I can see how much memory is being used ie 32-64mb. However to date I have not discovered a way of finding out the amount of memory that IIS is making available to my session. So 5 64MB sessions might cause a problem if only 300MB is available, but if there is 1 GB then less of a problem. With the former value I can imagine the problem even with no memory leakage so the problem is with the IIS Shared Hosting setup. This is a really important point IMHO. How??

I'm sorry , I don't understand enough about IIS to know this.

3) Is it possible to test against a remote server as opposed to localhost? I have not dared to try since the profiler seems to stop and restart the web process.

No, you have to run the profiler on the same machine as the process you are profiling, sorry.