Options

Excluding a specific file from a compare

GrahamGoodwinGrahamGoodwin Posts: 25
edited March 30, 2010 6:15PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Is it possible to exclude a specific script file from a compare? The filter options only seem to allow objects to be excluded - not files.

The reason for this is that GDR generates a deployment script every time that a deploy is performed (filename is in the form of databasename.sql) and these leads to an error message informing that duplicate objects definitions exist.

I can manually delete or rename this deployment file and the error message disappears on the next compare.

Regards

Graham Goodwin

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post.

It's not possible to exclude specific files when you register the scripts as SQL Compare needs to register the whole schema to asses the dependencies. It will always attempt to register all the .sql files within the script folder.

When you filter objects, you are only really filtering them from the comparison and synchronisation. The excluded objects will still be registered when you run the project.

You could try temporarily changing the file extension if you don't want them to be included, or you could remove them from the folder for the purposes of the comparison.
    Chris
  • Options
    Graham,

Would you be able to get in touch with me to discuss this issue further? I'd be happy to consider improving our products to work better in your scenario.

My email is David dot Atkinson @ red-gate dot com

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software