Parameter to skip automatic MSDB and CE purge?

DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
edited March 26, 2010 11:47AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have an application sp that makes calls to the to the SQLBackup extended procedure. Sometimes the call from the application times out. In looking at the logs I noticed that the delay is not caused by the backup or restore operation, but instead the backup history grooming feature.

I realize that I can disable the MSDB/CE grooming job by deselecting the "Delete old backup history" check box in Server Options. But I don't want to do that as I still need to groom old backups, especially from the SQL CE cache. Also changing the timeout value in the application, is feasible but I still want to avoid the grooming delays when the application launches the sp.

I do however want the grooming to work when routinely scheduled backup jobs by the SQL Server agent are run. So my question is how can I skip the grooming when the sqlbackup procedure is called by the application sp?

Alternatively if no parameter to skip the purging exists, is there a sqbutility command that I can use to schedule grooming in an agent job? I could then just turn the Delete old backup history feature off and set up an agent job to do the SQL CE database cleanup.

Comments