Options

My suggestions for SQL Doc 2.0

CowskiCowski Posts: 23 New member
edited March 19, 2010 8:44AM in SQL Doc Previous Versions
I posted this same info under another forum message but thought I'd start my own to see what happens.

My suggestions to SQL Doc 2.0 would be these:

1. Search feature with the potential of a wildcard search. Example if we're looking for a certain sproc...type it in the search & it will return a web page with every location this sproc is located in.

2. The ability to edit descriptions for tables, views, etc. with the capability of the updated description to be added back to the database.

3. A quick refresh for descriptions for example. So if something was recently changed in SSMS you can refresh that particular page to show your update without rerunning then entire SQL Doc for that server when only 1 small change was made.

4. Along those lines, for reporting purposes only, a editable section for nearly every page.

This is just a start. Overall I am 100% TOTALLY blown away by this product! It takes a lot to impress me nowadays with software after being in the industry for over 25 years. This software thoroughly impresses me!! Keep up the great work, Red-Gate!!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    1. Search feature with the potential of a wildcard search. Example if we're looking for a certain sproc...type it in the search & it will return a web page with every location this sproc is located in.

I've logged this suggestion for consideration in a future version of SQL Doc (SDOC-1423). However, you might find that using Red Gate SQL Search in SSMS already does a pretty good job of this, and it's free!
    2. The ability to edit descriptions for tables, views, etc. with the capability of the updated description to be added back to the database.

This is currently supported in the UI. See here
    Or would you like to make actual structural changes to the objects through SQL Doc?
    3. A quick refresh for descriptions for example. So if something was recently changed in SSMS you can refresh that particular page to show your update without rerunning then entire SQL Doc for that server when only 1 small change was made.

I'm not sure this will be possible, as SQL Doc will need to interrogate the entire schema to make sure the dependencies are correct. Would it help if your project was split per database rather then the whole server? You could then just run the documentation for that database. Alternatively, you could use the command line interface to automate the generation of the documentation.
    4. Along those lines, for reporting purposes only, a editable section for nearly every page.

There is MS_Description for each object, or are you looking for something else?

I hope this helps.
    Chris