Options

Is there any way to bulk create logshipping

WidgetWidget Posts: 8
edited March 17, 2010 7:48AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi

I'm implementing logshipping using the wizard in SQL Backup 6, which is fine, but unless i'm missing something I can only do this on an individual database level.
I have around 1000 databases spread over 22 live servers, so setting these up individually is going to be quite a pain.
Does anyone know if there is any functionality to set this up on a server by server basis?

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

Unfortuantely, there isn't really any easy way to do this at the present time, and it most definitely isn;t possible through the GUI of the tool.

I have however added a feature request for this in our systems under refernce SB-4518.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Options
    Hi Pete

Thanks for that :)

I also seem to be getting lots of issues with the set up on these servers, it keeps failing randomly on a few databases, or just stopping for a couple of days then restarting again.
    We started using this because of the network resiliance but tbh its turning into more trouble than its worth to try and make sure that the logshipping is up to date.

Could someone tell me if there's a recommended maximum to be shipping from one server using redgate, as an example we are shipping 54 databases on one server set and we cant seem to get all 54 working correctly at the same time, everytime we check there are 3-6 that are failing for no obvious reason, and another half a dozen that just appear to have stopped shipping at all. The network link between the sites has had no issues so unless we're doing something drastically wrong i cant see a good reason for it. We're also having to restart the SQL Backup service on the DR box to get it to start behaving again. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Hi there,

There isn't a hard and fast rule as to a limit of databases that you can log ship as far as I am aware, however random failures can be caused by a number of different things.

It would sound to me as if you have quite a hefty server with DB's on there that are enormously busy. I wouldn't be surprised if the random errors are due to VDI timeouts where there either wasn't enough memory at that given point in time to take the backup or there was too much going on on that database at that time so the 30 second cut out kicked in and the VDI failed to get created for the backup to actually occur. Further information on VDI errors can be found from the below knowledgebase links:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... wledgebase\SQL_Backup\KB200804000250.htm

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... wledgebase\SQL_Backup\KB200708000117.htm

You can however endeavour to find out what is happening from the logs for the job. These can be found by right clicking on the failed job in the Activity History of the SQL Backup GUI and selecting show log. If you need any help interpreting these, feel free to post the log contents up here or forward it to support(at)red-gate.com.

HTH

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569