Options

Auto document foreign key descriptions

janiejanie Posts: 2
edited March 9, 2010 11:07AM in SQL Doc Previous Versions
Hi,

I have a question.

I have added a description to a column [column a] in a table . I have another table that has a column [column b] which is a foreign key to .[column a]. The description that I added in table 1 for column a has not filtered down to either the column description (column b) nor the foreign key description for table 2.

Is this the intended behaviour? Can a feature be added to enable the description for a column in one table be applied to all other tables that reference it?

Just out of interest is there an estimated time frame for the next release?

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm... nice idea. So effectively all columns that are linked via a FK relationship would have the same description?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who would like this behavior. Are there cases where people would want these descriptions to be different?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I would prefer they NOT be the same. In many instances, the documentation (and even the column name) at opposite ends of an FK relationship are quite different.

But there would be value in showing the opposing column name and documentation while editing an FK column, making it easier to refer to the other and allowing cut and paste (which would cover Janie's suggestion too).

Andrew Culver