Options

Small suggestion on SQL script file naming

weswinklerweswinkler Posts: 54 New member
When saving a data synchronization script from SQL Data Compare, the program suggests a name.

Apparently, the format is something like this:
SourceServer.SourceDBName-TargetServer.TargetDBName-dmmyyyy-hhmm

Please consider changing the date and time section to be yyyymmdd-hhmm.

In this way, scripts saved on different days and times from the same Data Compare project would sort nicely in Windows Explorer.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post, I;ll add it to our feature request. There is a chance I can persuade one of our tame developers to crank out a special just for you! :)
  • Options
    This shall henceforth and forever be known as: SDC-1105
  • Options
    Thanks.

I appreciate your willingness to attend to the small "fit and finish" aspects of your products, as well as to the core functionality.
  • Options
    The proper solution might be to use the local machine's regional preferences. Could you please go to:

Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Regional Options/Customize/Date

And please let me know what is in the Long Date Format field for you?

Would using this format after the "SourceServer.SourceDBName-TargetServer.TargetDBName-" be appropriate?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    My Long Date format is currently "dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy". With today's date, that displays as "Tuesday, March 23, 2010".

That might not be the best for my intentions. But, if I set the Short Date format to "yyyy-MM-dd" and the Time format to "HH:mm:ss" I'd have all the information available.

I really don't care about the seconds; Windows explorer doesn't seem to care about seconds when displaying file information. Maybe Red Gate could grab the Short Date format from the machine settings as part of the file name, and then always add the time as "HHmm". I'll leave it up to you experts to deal with the "/" character as a date separator, when it is part of the Short Date format.