Custom Install Path Not Respected By Installer

BrandonKBrandonK Posts: 2
edited February 11, 2010 11:52AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I'm having a problem installing the following products to a custom path:

SQL Compare 8
SQL Data Compare 8
SQL Data Generator 1
SQL Prompt 4

So technically this problem relates to the installer, but I didn't see a forum for that. Since SQL Compare is in the list, I figured I'd try this forum.

I'm running the above products on a development machine (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit) and an automated build machine (Windows Server 2003 32 bit). There are several DOS scripts used to run SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare that have to run on BOTH machines.

The problem is 64 bit Windows wants to install your products in "C:\Program Files (x86)", and 32 bit Windows wants "C:\Program Files". This difference in Red Gate executable file paths breaks the DOS scripts.

My solution was to install your software to "C:\Program Files" on the 64 bit machine. This has worked for two other software programs that are used in the above scenario. However, your installer appears to be ignoring any changes I make to the install path. I've tried to change the path en masse (at the top) as well as for each application. Neither option works; Red Gate apps are always installed to "Program Files (x86)".

Thanks for your assistance.