Options

Fieldmapping not valid for MatchingMappings

cmdcomcmdcom Posts: 2
Hey now,

I receive this error when I perform a data comparison (v8.0.2.5). SQL Compare shows some minor differences in the table schemas (slightly different indexes, constraints, etc.), but no major column differences. In the 'Object Mapping' tab, all the tables statuses' are listed as 'Mapped'. I turned on verbose logging but it contained nothing useful, just some start/finish SaveToDisk activity.

The kicker is that if I un-check everything in the 'Tables & Objects' tab, I still incur the same error. At wit's end. TIA

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Nate,

I believe that we're working with you on this one via the email that you had also sent in. If we reach a solution to the problem, I will update this forum topic and let everyone know what the fix is.
  • Options
    Hi all,

We never did get to the bottom of this and Nate ended up using SQL replication instead of SQL Data Compare.
  • Options
    thats a real disappointment, as I'm getting the exact same problem between two db's. I had the error before and ended up having to recreate the data compare from scratch for it to work. Since Feb has there been any idea of how to resolve this issue? I don't want to have to spend another hour or so recreating this compare only to have to do it again in a week or two! :evil:
  • Options
    I just recreated the compare from scratch and it works fine again (just hope I have all the same stuff comparing).

I've just done a visual check between the old non working file and the new one, everything looks pretty much the same, except for the "TableActions" section of the xml file. Old non working file has 134 'value' s , the new one only 32. I haven't gone into any of the details as yet..

I can send the files to someone if they are interested?
  • Options
    If I recall correectly, there was nothing wrong with SQL Data Compare and it was a non-issue. The problem was basically that we were trying to map together columns with incompatible mappings or something like that. In the end, it was easier for Nate to go with a different solution.
  • Options
    I don't think that can be the case, as this problem tends to appear after I have ran SQL Compare to ensure the two db's schemas are in sync. So how could there be incompatible data types?

then every so often when you go into the SQL data compare and try running its gets this error.

Yesterday the events ran a little like this:
    run SQL compare to bring our UAT inline with the DEV database.

used SQL compare to apply the changes, was only 3 columns that had been added to a table in DEV, so the compare script was just to add these to the UAT table

Run SQL data compare to check for static data changes.
    error!

now the table that had the DDL changes, is not a table that is actually selected for the data compare ? so why would you get fieldmappings suddenly becoming invalid? is there some refresh problem in data compare when the DDL has been updated?

Our standard way to roll changes out now is to use SQL compare to sync the DDL between the two, then run SQL data compare on a subset of tables (all fairly static lookup tables) to sync up any data changes.

Usually works very well, but every so often this problem pops up and it just makes it a pain to recreate the data compare project, espiecally as I have to go through and reselect only the tables we want and switch to some custom keys.

If you could improve the actual error data compare is returning to tell what field mappings are invalid that it would certainly help! the logs are useless for trying to gleam anything either from what I've seen.
  • Options
    Please contact tech support at support@red-gate.com. I am trying to emphasize that this issue, like the "object reference not set" problem, has a myriad of causes and I do not want this topic to keep growing out of control. It will probably never be "fixed" as every case is different. Yes I'll agree that the error information given by SQL Compare and Data Compare has always been sub-par, which is why our support guys have come up with various ways to get more information from the product so it is best to contact them.

I am therefore locking this topic.
This discussion has been closed.