Options

search using partial table names

kliningerklininger Posts: 6
edited August 12, 2010 11:48AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Is there a way to search for a partial database name besides the default of "table name starts with"?

The databases we work with have between 400 and 1300 tables. Without getting into the need to slim the database (out of our hands at the moment), you can see why I'd like this feature.

Thanks!

Kurt

Comments

• Options
    I should add that I'm specifically asking about when one types

select * from {cursor here}

Would be nice to be able to type %something% and get all tables with "something" in the name
  • Options
    Hi Kurt,

If I am understanding this correctly, you would like to create a SELECT statement, and be able to select multiple tables to pull information from using SQL Prompt, and have it automatically insert joins for you to?

For example, if we use the below code:
    USE AdventureWorks
    GO
    SELECT * FROM  Person.Contact
    JOIN Sales.ContactCreditCard ON Person.Contact.ContactID = Sales.ContactCreditCard.ContactID

You would expect to type in Prompt:
    SELECT * FROM %contact%

And then select all the tables with "contact" in and have Prompt automatically create the join in the previous code snippet?

Many thanks!

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Options
    Peter,

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, my first real need is to select just one table from a vey long list of tables. Many of the tables have the same very long (10 character) prefix. This means that currently, even with SQL Prompt, I will have to either type the whole prefix, or wade thru a long list.

Even for tables with no prefix, Many times I remember the end of the table name but not the beginning. This would be another case where searching for a partial name would help in finding one table for a simple SELECT.

Thanks again for helping.

Kurt
  • Options
    Hi Kurt,

Many thanks for clarifying this, I have added a feature request in the system for this under SP-2912. I am sure it will be considered for a future release of the tool.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Options
    Thanks Pete

You may be able to imagine (because of our environment mentioned above) that this feature was actually the one thing I was looking for in a "SQL Prompt"-like program.

Thanks for adding that.

Kurt
  • Options
    I posted a similar request fro using Camel case shortcuts

eg BatchValueView would be accessed by <bvv> , as you see in Visual Assist X etc ie filtering on the Camel Case capitals

Looks like 2 votes

Mike
  • Options
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, I have added your comments too to the feature request logged under SP-2912.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Options
    Please put my company down for this feature, SP-2912, as well. Many people here have talked about it.

Thanks
  • Options
    Where should I configure in order to get full table name when typing partial table name?

Thanks,
    Sriram.
  • Options
    Peter,

Practically every day I wish I could use SQLPrompt. I won't be able to sell the idea without this feature, though. Do you have an idea when this feature could possibly be implemented?

Thanks!

Kurt
  • Options
    Unfortunately we can't say at this point when the feature will be implemented. The backlog for v5 has already been finalized, and the project is currently in full swing. However, we will consider this for v6 alongside all the other requests we get. The more popular this one proves to be, the more likely we'll consider implementing it!

Thanks for voicing your views!

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
    Unfortunately we can't say at this point when the feature will be implemented. The backlog for v5 has already been finalized, and the project is currently in full swing.

Any chance you can share what SP-IDs have made the cut and are planned to get included/fixed in v5? (I have my list of 27 pet bugs/suggestions that I would like to see fixed.)
  • Options
    The next release is very focused on the implementation of three new features.

1) Show Dependencies (including at column level)
    2) Find Invalid Objects (objects that reference objects that no longer exist)
    3) Script as Alter (right click on your object in a query window and script it as Alter to a new query window)
    4) All SQL Refactor features will be integrated into SQL Prompt 5

Other than for critical bug fixes, we're not planning to enhance code completion or formatting for v5.

If you're interested in trying out v5 early access builds, let me know and I'll put you on our distribution list.

Kind regards,

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
    The next release is very focused on the implementation of three new features.

1) Show Dependencies (including at column level)
    2) Find Invalid Objects (objects that reference objects that no longer exist)
    3) Script as Alter (right click on your object in a query window and script it as Alter to a new query window)
    4) All SQL Refactor features will be integrated into SQL Prompt 5

Other than for critical bug fixes, we're not planning to enhance code completion or formatting for v5.

If you're interested in trying out v5 early access builds, let me know and I'll put you on our distribution list.

David,

When does Reg Gate plan on focusing on fixing the identified and confirmed bugs in SQL Prompt? While v4 introduced some new features it also introduced a lot of new bugs that still haven't been fixed, along with bugs from v3 that are still in there. Should we expect the same with v5, new features but even more bugs and broken existing functionality?