Options

Difference between Call Tree view and Method Grid view

Hello, I am trying to understand why there are differences in the 'Time With Children (s)' value between the Call Tree view and the Method Grid view. I am trying to address a performance problem our users have in a specific function within our application. When I look at the 'Time With Children (s)' value in the Call Tree the timing is 5.909 but when I look at the timing for the same method in the Method Grid view the timing is reported as 2.204. This is significantly different and I can't explain why.

The interesting thing is that our users have reported this problem in an earlier version of the application. To make sure that I am making improvements in the newest version I have run timings on the older version. With the older version the timing in the Call Tree reports as 4.773 and in the Method Grid it also reports as 4.773. There is no discrepancy as there is in the above example.

Forgetting that the newest version of our application currently appears slower, why does the first timing example have a discrepancy between the Call Tree and Method Grid views and the second example does not?

The profiling for both versions of our application was done on debug versions with the exact same default Profiler options. I have version 5.1.0.14 of the Profiler installed.

Comments

• Options
    Are the hit counts the same for that method between the Tree View and the Methods grid?
  • Options
    Yes, the hit counts are the same between the two views.
  • Options
    Hmm, this definitely sounds like a bug of some variety. We didn't change this area of the profiler very much in v5, so it's surprising anything has changed :(

We use the same data for both views so the results should be the same, provided a method is hit only in one place.

If you flip the CPU time drop down back and forth, does the issue go away? I think v5 had a bug where this could get out of sync for the all methods view.

If that doesn't work, which profiling mode are you selecting when this issue occurs?

There's a bug in v6 that occurs when opening results from older profilers that might be the issue you're seeing here. If you click the 'time with children' header in the all methods view to change the sort ordering, do the bar graphs stop lining up with the results?
    Andrew Hunter
    Software Developer
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • Options
    Andrew, that is exactly the problem. When I toggle the timing dropdown, I then see matching values in the two views. I'll have to keep this in mind until a fix is available.

We have only had your tool for a month or two. How often do you release updates/patches and do you have an idea when this problem might be addressed?
  • Options
    Hi,

we are working on V6 at the moment and the bug is in the system to be fixed in the next release so it shouldn't take too long to release the fix.

We are releasing early access builds in the ANTS 6 early access forum. I wouldn't like to speak for Andrew here but when this issue is looked into and a fix is applied then it will appear in a build at some point.

Here's the link to the EAP forum for future reference: http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... .php?f=110

Hope that helps,

Stephen