I'd like to see the following in a future release:

1. A Statistics section, that shows some basic counts:
Total Number of Tables.
Total Number of Stored Procedures / Functions
Total Lines of code in stored procedures

2. An enhanced "Front Page" that allows you to maybe include a logo

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. Would you be able to tell us the reason why each of these statistics are important to you?

Would you want a logo to appear on all pages, or just the front page? If the latter, what else would be on the front page?

Regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    The overall reason is documenting not only the database, but the size and scope of the database (and basically the project it supports). This is probably not that overly important to others, but when looking at a database, it give a sense of the scope of the whole thing. Seeing the number of stored procedures give you a good idea right up front of how an application is addressing the database. Seeing of line count of those stored procedures shows up front how complex they are (or not).

Really just like the front page, being the introduction of the database, with maybe the statics being on this front page. There is another product called SqlSpec that does a nice job on the front page. It's a slow tool, and doesn't let you edit like yours, so right now I'm kinda of using both.
  • Options
    I agree with kirk.

I dont know about you guys but I have been spending a lot of time adding descriptions to db objects in large dbs. I have to report my progress to my boss. It would be nice if when you expand any folder in the database object tree it showed number of nodes. Then I could easliy see how many sprocs, for example I am working with. This is a useful indicator for estimating time needed to document.
  • Options
    CowskiCowski Posts: 23 New member
    Kirkkelly has some very good suggestions!

My additions to this are:

1. Search feature with the potential of a wildcard search. Example if we're looking for a certain sproc...type it in the search & it will return a web page with every location this sproc is located in.

2. The ability to edit descriptions for tables, views, etc. with the capability of the updated description to be added back to the database.

3. A quick refresh for descriptions for example. So if something was recently changed in SSMS you can refresh that particular page to show your update without rerunning then entire SQL Doc for that server when only 1 small change was made.

4. Along those lines, for reporting purposes only, a editable section for nearly every page.

This is just a start. Overall I am 100% TOTALLY blown away by this product! It takes a lot to impress me nowadays with software after being in the industry for over 25 years. This software thoroughly impresses me!! Keep up the great work, Red-Gate!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas.

It's worth mentioning that SQL Doc *does* let you change the Descriptions. If you click on the pencil icon in the preview pane it pops up a dialog in which you can edit the description.

With regards to point 4, would you like the editable section to write back to the database, or should this be stored in SQL Doc's own project file?

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software