Options

Interactive HTML works differently

meklemblmeklembl Posts: 107 Bronze 2
edited December 6, 2010 5:12AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I prefer the prior method for Interactive HTML file saving.

In prior versions, after running SQL Compare, I used to save the report as an Interactive HTML. In those versions, the Interactive HTML file was "fully contained", meaning I could send the file alone to a mail recipient and they could view it (with all the images, etc.)

In the current version, they can still view the HTML, but all the images are contained in a separate folder and it's difficult to add a folder to an email.

I understand that I can put the HTML file and the image folder in a location on the network, but that does not make it as easy as the prior working of saving an Interactive HTML.

I am using SQL Compare 8.1.2.5.0.
Larry M
Cleveland, OH USA

Comments

• Options
    Hi Larry,

Is zipping everything up not an option?

Regards,

Tilman
  • Options
    It could be if the users were made aware of how to fully unzip the files.

What changed between SQL Compare 7 and SQL Compare 8 that made the Interactive HTML so different?
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
  • Options
    The reason why the single file worked, was that it requested the images from the Red Gate servers. This was not working for people who didn't have internet connections. We changed it to make it work for those people, as well.

We could try and make it fall back to the online images if it can't find them locally, I guess?

Tilman
  • Options
    Thanks. And I see the light. I may not fully like it, but I do understand.
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
  • Options
    joejfjoejf Posts: 13 Bronze 2
    I realize this is an old post but I just noticed this issue. This is really silly. The page is still set up the same, with the images pointing to Red-Gate's servers. However, they added a function, SetupImagesDir, that changes the location of the images to the local directory (<file name>_images). If you comment out the call to SetupImagesDir in the pageInit function it works just as it used to.

I think someone forgot to add a check in the SetupImagesDir function to only change to the local directory 1) if it exists and/or 2) it cannot access Red-Gate's servers.

Please, please add this condition or an option in the generate dialog to use web based images.
  • Options
    nuberfinnuberfin Posts: 18 Bronze 2
    Agreed...this is a huge pain and added steps for most. I used to be able to just send the html, now I have to zip up images too and it's a much bigger production.
  • Options
    I too would like to have this feature back. It is so much nicer and easier to have a "fully contained" html, as meklembl calls it. Surely its possible to offer both options, for those that have internet connection and those that dont? Please keep us posted about this. Thanks!
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    This has been fixed in the latest patch. Please see here:

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... hp?t=11077