Problems with contacting Server

Larry.DuggerLarry.Dugger Posts: 3
edited January 11, 2010 12:09PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I have installed SQL Response 1.3, the server I am monitoring is in a different domain. In server properties I have specified the Windows Login account for the DCOM, and the SQL Server Authentication for the SQL Server Instance.
When I test the credentials, both return 'Credentials OK'.
However, on the 'Servers to show' window the server has a certificate with an exclaimation mark. Hovering over this I see the following
Node 37306-Cluster1B: Unable to contact remote machine to get information needed for licensing
Node 37304-Cluster1A: Unable to contact remote machine to get information needed for licensing
Last Checked 1/7/2010 1:07pm

What would cause this? The account I am using for DCOM is an administrator on the cluster...
Besides the credentials check is OK....

Comments

• dlkjdlkj Posts: 151
    edited April 7, 2010 10:57AM
    Hi Larry,

Sorry to see that you are having issues with SQL Response.

When you test the credentials for a clustered SQL Server we validate the connection via the cluster address. To license and monitor the cluster SQL Response has to connect to each node of the cluster individually. Unfortunately the nodes of clusters are stored by windows as unqualified network names (eg. node1 node2) and this can cause problems in multi domain environments.

If you have added your SQL cluster using its IP address, SQL Response will assume that the cluster nodes are in the same domain as the Alert Repository. The same is true if you are using unqualified network names.

If you add a cluster using the fully qualified domain name (eg. cluster.subdomain.example.com) then SQL Response will assume the nodes are part of the same domain (eg node1.subdomain.example.com, node2.subdomain.example.com)

You can use tracert to check how network fully resolves you cluster and node network names.

Let me know if you need more help sorting this out.

Cheers
  • First, thanks for you help.
    I was unable to do as you said, since the remote domain is secure, but I placed a transalation inthe Host file for each ip
    and now the registration information can be seen.
    What is strange is that it licensed the inactive member of the cluster...

However...when I try to Activate the other member I receive 'The activation request contains an invalid machine hash'
    The text in the box has this
    <activationrequest>
    <version>3</version>
    <machinehash></machinehash>
    <productcode>18</productcode>
    <majorversion>1</majorversion>
    <minorversion>0</minorversion>
    <serialnumber>ABC-DEF-JHIJKL-MNOP</serialnumber>
    <session>660caee8-822c-4223-836f-992edf5de0b3</session>
    <locale>en-US</locale>
    </activationrequest>

Of course I replaced our serial number with the ABC-DEF-JHIJKL-MNOP
    As you can see there is no machine hash

Do I need two Licenses for this to operate properly?
  • Hi Larry,

You need 2 licenses of SQL Response if you wish to install the tool on a cluster, as you need a license for each node.

If you believe you have enough licenses to cover this node, please can you send an e-mail to support(at)redgate.com referencing this forum post along with your license information?

Many thanks!

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569