Options

Profile XBAP remote

Hi!

Q: I want to profile the startup on an remote XBAP.

I wonder if there is an article on how to do that, and get info about the source code. (hint in program says profile browser and use .NET)

If I do it localy I get detaild info on where time is spent in my code, but when doing remote I only get three methods.
(Transition to managed code, SetDefaultDomainManager, PerformIOCompletionCallback)

* Is there a way to tell ANTS where my source code/project is?
* Is there a way to tell ANTS where .NET source code/SDK is?

My goal is to determin if it's only the load of .NET and sandbox that take most of the time at customer site. I'm using different tools to see what to use.

Best regards
Jonas Gunnarsson

Comments

• Options
    The Profiler can only give results from the local .NET runtime. I don't believe that the .NET profiling API can support any remote performance data yet (not even in CLR 4.0).
  • Options
    The Profiler can only give results from the local .NET runtime. I don't believe that the .NET profiling API can support any remote performance data yet (not even in CLR 4.0).

Ok, I want the local .NET load time, and local XBAP load time. I only want to start the XBAP from remote.

My goal is to optimize startup at client side, may be to remove/not use some .NET lib. I want to do that at customer side computer, or any computer.

It looks like it is the loading of .NET modules that takes to long, so I want to remove some components, to load later, so I get better "precived time".

Thanks
    Jonas
  • Options
    Ah- I see what you mean.

* Is there a way to tell ANTS where my source code/project is?

ANST will pick up your debug pdbs if they are in the same directory as the executable it is profiling. Or you can set up a global cache:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... spx?p=ANTS Performance Profiler&c=knowledgebase%5cANTS_Performance_Profiler%5cKB200708000133.htm

* Is there a way to tell ANTS where .NET source code/SDK is?

If you have the .NET symbols files (pdb), put them in teh global cache as above.

Finally, to obtain a full listing of all methods profiled- use the "methods view" (the middle grey button on the bottom-left).
  • Options
    Thanks Chris, Ok I use the pdb-files, that will do the trick.
    Best
    Jonas