Strange restore issue

brosatobrosato Posts: 89
edited January 4, 2010 5:15AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I've been having problems restoring differential backups. One database I tried last week gave me SQL errors 3013 and 3136 and the restore left the DB in recovery state. Then one I just tried now seemed to succeed but it has to full restores in a row, with the second one failing and the a successful differential restore.

Version 6.3.0.48

Comments

  • I guess I can't pick both the full and diff and do the restore of both at the same time. If I do them individually I don't get an error.
  • I tried another restore the same way and it fails leaving the database in recovery mode. Here's the log

    SQL Backup log file 6.3.0.48

    -SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [testrestore] FROM DISK = 'C:\Temp\DIFF_(local)_Ektron_20091217_023020.sqb' WITH PASSWORD = 'xxxxxxxxxx', RECOVERY "

    ERRORS AND WARNINGS


    12/21/2009 12:46:12 PM: Restoring testrestore (database) on TEST_THOR instance from:
    12/21/2009 12:46:12 PM: C:\Temp\DIFF_(local)_Ektron_20091217_023020.sqb

    12/21/2009 12:46:12 PM: RESTORE DATABASE [testrestore] FROM VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_A3EB9BE6-9AE2-40EA-BA3C-3485980C5C9E', VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_A3EB9BE6-9AE2-40EA-BA3C-3485980C5C9E01', VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_A3EB9BE6-9AE2-40EA-BA3C-3485980
    C5C9E02', VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_A3EB9BE6-9AE2-40EA-BA3C-3485980C5C9E03', VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_A3EB9BE6-9AE2-40EA-BA3C-3485980C5C9E04', VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_A3EB9BE6-9AE2-40EA-BA3C-3485980C5C9E05', VIRTUAL_DEVICE =
    'SQLBACKUP_A3EB9BE6-9AE2-40EA-BA3C-3485980C5C9E06' WITH BUFFERCOUNT = 28, BLOCKSIZE = 65536, MAXTRANSFERSIZE = 1048576 , RECOVERY

    12/21/2009 12:46:12 PM: SQL Server error

    12/21/2009 12:46:12 PM: SQL error 3013: SQL error 3013: RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    12/21/2009 12:46:12 PM: SQL error 3136: SQL error 3136: Cannot apply the backup on device 'SQLBACKUP_A3EB9BE6-9AE2-40EA-BA3C-3485980C5C9E' to database 'testrestore'.
  • Hey new error this time. It says it can't open the database because it's in the middle of a restore. Well, DUH. So, I get a log entry that says the differential restore failed, but right after that there is another one that says success and the database seems to be back online. It's really hard to read the activity history because the in the UI because the window is constantly flashing.

    12/21/2009 1:04:19 PM: Restoring testrestore (database) on TEST_THOR instance from:
    12/21/2009 1:04:19 PM: C:\Temp\New Folder\DIFF_(local)_Ektron_20091221_023020.sqb

    12/21/2009 1:04:19 PM: ALTER DATABASE [testrestore] SET ONLINE RESTORE DATABASE [testrestore] FROM VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_5202888F-F2B9-45B2-8888-C1E23E8FD1FD', VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_5202888F-F2B9-45B2-8888-C1E23E8FD1FD01', VIRTUAL_DEVICE =
    'SQLBACKUP_5202888F-F2B9-45B2-8888-C1E23E8FD1FD02', VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_5202888F-F2B9-45B2-8888-C1E23E8FD1FD03', VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_5202888F-F2B9-45B2-8888-C1E23E8FD1FD04', VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_5202888F-F2B9-45B2-8888-C1E23E8FD1FD0
    5', VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_5202888F-F2B9-45B2-8888-C1E23E8FD1FD06' WITH BUFFERCOUNT = 28, BLOCKSIZE = 65536, MAXTRANSFERSIZE = 1048576 , RECOVERY

    12/21/2009 1:04:22 PM: SQL Server error

    12/21/2009 1:04:22 PM: SQL error 5069: SQL error 5069: ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
    12/21/2009 1:04:22 PM: SQL error 927: SQL error 927: Database 'testrestore' cannot be opened. It is in the middle of a restore.
  • Thanks for your post.

    Can you confirm the restore script you are using. I have seen this issue before when using the 'Kill existing connections' option in the restore script.

    We have a bug open for that issue, which is fixed in the next release (SB-4446).

    Can you try performing the FULL + DIFF restore without the 'kill existing connections' option and see if it helps?
    Chris
  • Thanks for your post.

    Can you confirm the restore script you are using. I have seen this issue before when using the 'Kill existing connections' option in the restore script.

    We have a bug open for that issue, which is fixed in the next release (SB-4446).

    Can you try performing the FULL + DIFF restore without the 'kill existing connections' option and see if it helps?


    The kill existing connections option didn't make any difference. The only way I can restore a differential with no issues is to do the full and diff in separate restores. I also had a restore last week that would not apply the differential backup at all no matter what I did. I'm really glad it was just a restore to dev and I wasn't relying on it.
  • Thanks for your reply, and sorry my suggestion didn't help.

    I've only seen this happen before with the kill existing connections option, so would you be able to post your restore script and I will see if there is anything else that could be causing this behaviour.

    If you are using the restore wizard, you can find the script on the last step of the wizard.
    Chris
Sign In or Register to comment.