Options

problem setting up Mail Server Settings

ProtoProto Posts: 13 Bronze 2
edited November 26, 2009 5:02AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I'm having an issue setting up my Mail Server Settings in SQL Response. I have used the exact same settings in SQL Backup (running on the same server) and they work just fine, emails are sent with no problems. In SQL Response, the test email fails and no alert emails are ever sent.

Very weird to say the least.

Is there a difference on how the two products handle the email server settings? Or something else that could be causing this?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Proto,

Apologies for the problems you are having.

Is the machine hosting Alert Repository able to see SMTP Server? Please try pinging the SMTP server from the Alert Repository machine and see if that works.

Also, do you see any error on the UI when the test email fails?

If the problem is still not resolved then please email us the screen shot of the "Mail Server Settings" dialog box with the error message and also the Alert Repository log file. You can obtain the log file by clicking on the SQL Response icon on the top left corner and then selecting 'Copy Alert Repository log file' in the menu.

Please email this to support@red-gate.com. Also, please put a reference to this forum post. This will help us to diagnose the issue.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    yes, the machine hosting the alert repository is able to see the SMTP server. pinging it works fine. it's the same machine that is running sql backup and emails work just fine from that software.

the UI shows the basic "Failure sending email" message below the Send Test Email button.

from the log file (removed my email address):
    11:25:19.082|Error  |AlertRepository     |6  |Error sending test email|System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Transaction failed. The server response was: 5.7.1 <my_email_was_here>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied
       at System.Net.Mail.RecipientCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String response)
       at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
       at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
       at e.a(a , RepositoryConfiguration , Boolean )
       at e.a(String , RepositoryConfiguration , String& )
    11:25:39.174|Error  |AlertRepository     |37 |Error sending test email|System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Transaction failed. The server response was: 5.7.1 <my_email_was_here>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied
       at System.Net.Mail.RecipientCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String response)
       at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
       at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
       at e.a(a , RepositoryConfiguration , Boolean )
       at e.a(String , RepositoryConfiguration , String& )

after looking at the log i tried changing the recipient address to another valid email address and the same error occurs.

will send this to support as well.
  • Options
    You will need to have a friendly chat with your Sys Admin.

Your company SMTP server has been configured to reject certain email addresses or sending machines. This is a common restriction to prevent Spam and Malware propagation.

I'm guessing the machine that you are using for the SQL Response Alert Repository is not a SQL Server and therefore might not be white listed to have sending privileges on the SMTP Server.

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • Options
    dlkj wrote:
    You will need to have a friendly chat with your Sys Admin.

Your company SMTP server has been configured to reject certain email addresses or sending machines. This is a common restriction to prevent Spam and Malware propagation.

I'm guessing the machine that you are using for the SQL Response Alert Repository is not a SQL Server and therefore might not be white listed to have sending privileges on the SMTP Server.

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel

As I said, I use the exact same settings in SQL Backup (running on the exact same server (it's the SQL server)) and they work just fine, emails are sent with no problems.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to say that the only person who can fix this is the admin of your SMTP server.

SQL Response and SQL Backup do not use the same SMTP library, so this may cause a difference which is causing the SMTP server to reject the email.

The log file shows that the only error is caused by the SMTP Server rejecting the send request.

This is a security issue rather than a bug.

Let me know if you need any further information to help you resolve this.