Can I restore encrypted backup created on different server?

jasolutionjasolution Posts: 14 Bronze 2
If I have an encrypted .SQB file created on one server using Backup Pro 6.2, can I restore it to a different database server using a different install of Backup Pro 6.2 on the destination server?

This is what I am trying to do, but when I attempt to do this, I am unable to. It never enables the "Decrypt" input, but it also is not explicitly stating an error in the GUI.

Thanks,

Jason

Comments

• Yes you can, at least I just did it today

I have encrypted .sqb backup file from production
    restored it to the QA server via script (or GUI) today

RESTORE .............
    WITH PASSWORD = 'xxxxxx'

I'm using SQL Backup 6.3 already though
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • jasolutionjasolution Posts: 14 Bronze 2
    Were you able to figure out how to do this? I am trying the same thing with 6.4 right now. When I copy an encrypted .sqb file to a different server and attempt to restore it, the Decrypt option never becomes enabled so I can enter the encryption password.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup is fully backwards compatible, so you can restore backup files created with older versions of SQL Backup with all newer versions of SQL Backup.

Could you please run a small test for us:

- back up a small database e.g. model
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP DATABASE model TO DISK = [c:\model.sqb] WITH PASSWORD = [test]"'

- copy the file to the other server

- run and send us the output from the following commands on the other server:
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE HEADERONLY FROM DISK = [...] "'

EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE HEADERONLY FROM DISK = [...] WITH PASSWORD = [test]"'

where [...] is the fully qualified name of the copied file.

Thank you.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • agargagarg Posts: 11 Bronze 2
    I am having some issues with the restore command when trying to restore encrypted backup. This is what I ran to take a backup:

EXECUTE master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE AjayDB TO DISK = ''Z:\WrkFolder\AjayDB_201304011011_full.bak'' WITH COMPRESSION = 1, THREADCOUNT = 4, KEYSIZE = 256, PASSWORD = ''<ENCRYPTEDPASSWORD>abc12defLHG</ENCRYPTEDPASSWORD>''"'

Now, when I try to restore it via GUI, I supply the same password as above: abcd12defLHG. But it says: bad password. I tried to do it thru script as well, but did not help. I tried both of the following commands - none helped.

EXECUTE master.dbo.sqlbackup N'-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [AjayDB] FROM DISK = ''Z:\WrkFolder\AjayDB_201304011011_full.bak'' WITH DISCONNECT_EXISTING, PASSWORD = ''abc12defLHG'', REPLACE, MOVE ''AjayDB'' TO ''Z:\WrkFolder\AjayDB.mdf'', MOVE ''AjayDB_log'' TO ''Z:\WrkFolder\AjayDB.ldf'', RECOVERY"'

EXECUTE master.dbo.sqlbackup N'-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [AjayDB] FROM DISK = ''Z:\WrkFolder\AjayDB_201304011011_full.bak'' WITH DISCONNECT_EXISTING, PASSWORD = ''<ENCRYPTEDPASSWORD>abc12defLHG</ENCRYPTEDPASSWORD>'', REPLACE, MOVE ''AjayDB'' TO ''Z:\WrkFolder\AjayDB.mdf'', MOVE ''AjayDB_log'' TO ''Z:\WrkFolder\AjayDB.ldf'', RECOVERY"'

This is the msg generated:

SQL Backup v7.0.6.2
    Restoring AjayDB (database) from:
    Z:\WrkFolder\AjayDB_201304011011_full.bak

Error 710: Wrong password entered.

SQL Backup exit code: 710

(6 row(s) affected)

name value

exitcode 710
    sqlerrorcode 0
    filename001 Z:\WrkFolder\AjayDB_201304011011_full.bak

(3 row(s) affected)

Can you help?

Thanks.
    Ajay
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You need to provide the plain text (non-encrypted) password in order to restore the database.

E.g. when you back up a database or set up a backup job using the GUI, it encrypts the password you entered so that anyone looking at the script will not know the plain-text password.

If SQL Backup allowed users to restore the database using the same encrypted value, it defeats the purpose of encrypting the password. Thus, you need to know the plain text password to restore the database.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8