Options

Changing rule's order

How do I change the order of the rules ? Let's say that I have 15 rules in my controller and then I realized that I need a new rule to run before other rules. Is there a way to do so ? I don't want to believe I need to recreate them all to fix the order. 
Thanks

Answers

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi,
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

To move the rules into the order you wish them to run, it is a simple matter of drag and drop to have them in a different order.  As Data Masker is multi-threaded, which means rules will execute at the same time.  If you have a rule that is dependent on another rule and you want the rule to execute on a successful completion of another rule, you can setup rule dependencies and rule blocks.  This help article explains how to configure Rule dependencies and Rule blocks. 

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    SallesgSallesg Posts: 5 New member
    Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your response. I thought it should be as simple as that. However mine doesn't move to other places, and I don't know why. When dragging the rule, I can see the arrows, either a straight green or curved blue one, and I expected to be place where I release them. Its just that it doesn't move at all. While dragging I can also see a "not allowed" (unfortunately the icon was not captuted in the printscreen), so that should explain why it doesn't move. In the other hand, I can't move to create a dependency, not just change the order. The question is : why ? 

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your reply.

Based on screen shot, if you need rule 01-0015 to execute after Rule 01-0022, simply drag and drop it so becomes dependent on rule 01-0022 successfully executing before running rule 01-0015.  Rule 01-0015 becomes xx-0015 as below:

Another method to having rules to run later, is to set a rule block. So using Rule 01-0015 as the example, highlight the rule and click the Bulk Change RuleBlock button ->set the New rule block for rules value, in my example I entered the number 5 ->Clicked  Change Rule Block button ->Clicked Done button.  Rule 01-0015 becomes rule 05-0015.  So Rule block 5 will not execute until all the rules in rule block 1 have successfully completed.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com