Options

View t sql script prior to apply changes in get latest

SLQ Source control is connected to git.  I am doing get latest.  I select an object that is in source control that I want to apply to the database.  How do I view the script that SQL source control will use prior to clicking apply changes.  

I feel like this should be answered somewhere, but my google foo must be low.  If I need to use SQL Change automation instead, that can be the answer and I'll just need to figure out that tool.

Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,439 Rose Gold 2
    Yes, "get latest" isn't the correct way to deploy to Production. Most customers fire up a copy of SQL Compare Pro and use this. Just set the source to the SQL Source Control scripts folder, and set the target to be your Production server and run through the deployment wizard. SCA is appropriate if you want to use a migrations-based approach for deployments, which is popular for automated release processes.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software

Answers

• Options
    When doing a 'get latest' we don't currently show the script _unless_ the script fails to execute. Is there any reason why you need to review the script at this stage. Are you doing 'get latest' do a dev instance or production?
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Dayton_Dayton_ Posts: 3 New member
    The process they were going to use was check all changes in (commit) from the QA/Dev server and then use get latest to push the changes to the production sql server.  I did a little digging though and it appears you don't recommend that method.  Instead we should use SQL change automation to create migration scripts.  Is that correct?