Options

Restore - GUI not showing mapped drives

dwjongbloeddwjongbloed Posts: 30
edited May 28, 2009 12:43PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi - I am trying to write some documentation on how to do restores for some users in my company and I have a mapped drive out to our NETAPP where our backups reside at. However when I go into the GUI screen and say I want to browse for files the Mapped Drives are not showing up in the file tree. :shock: Is there a reason for this? Is there a fix for this? Any help in this matter would be greatly apprecicated.

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Unfortunately SQL Backup cannot display mapped drives or back up to mapped drives.

SQL Backup is controlled by a Windows service called the SQL Backup Agent. In most situations the service is configured to use a Domain Windows account that has sysadmin priviledges to the SQL Server.

If you log into Windows using the SQL Backup Agent Account, you will be able to create mapped drives etc. as any other user will be able to.

When the account logs on as service there is a limitation created by Windows, that prevents the use of mapped drives.

In essence when an user account logs on as a service, it does not have the same profile as when the account logs into Windows as a normal user account.

I hope the above answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com