How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Recent version change in Disk I/O metrics

We have become accustomed to seeing read vs writes in the Disk I/O metrics panes of the Server Overview window. However, since our latest update (we went from .37 to .56)  it appears to be total I/O on a server/vm/host level without the read/write separation. I can't find anywhere in the release notes where this was changed. Is this a bug or intentional change not documented in the release notes? Losing the read/write visibility is not particularly an improvement.

Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi @bmaynard,

This was changed in version 12.1.38 (release notes):

Changes

• The disk I/O metric in the activity graph has been changed to total bytes per second instead of transfers per second.

It now the total I/O and the portion that is due to SQL Server to be more inline with the CPU and RAM metrics as they show both Total for the machine and SQL Server's utilization portion as well:

As for seeing the split of Read/Write, you can hover over the card on the dashboard to see the current values:

And to get a graph like you are used to, you can go to the Analysis graph and add the individual Read/Write metrics to see the split out values:

Kind regards,

Alex

Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• Options
    bmaynardbmaynard Posts: 5 New member
    Thank you for the response. Based on the changes made, do you know if on there is anything on the roadmap to provide auto-refresh on the analysis page, so that it might be used as an extension of the server overview page in a multi-tabbed browser session scenario? The guess I can understand trying to make graphs consistent from a delineation perspective, but having the read-write metrics broken out like they were was quite valuable in a singular view with the other important graphs. It just being visible on the global overview in the tile is not nearly as effective, but if the analysis page could be auto refreshed we could achieve the same results. 

Thanks.
  • Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi @bmaynard,

There aren't any specific plans currently to add auto-refresh to the Analysis page, but the page does need to be updated still.  You should vote on this suggestion on the SQL Monitor Uservoice related to that: https://sqlmonitor.uservoice.com/forums/91743-suggestions/suggestions/10991616-allow-analysis-graphs-to-update-with-realtime-data  related to refreshing the analysis graph.

Apart from that, this button jumps to the present time so clicking that periodically (rather than refreshing the entire page) would perform a similar action (not ideal though, I understand):

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?